photosensor for use with laser

tay

Enlightened
Hey folks,

For a project I'm working on, I want to use a laser with photosensors to detect if the beam has been interrupted. I was figuring to just use a ~1mW red laser because I don't want it to cause any damage to whatever interrupts the beam.

I've used Cadmium-sulfide photosensors before, but never in conjunction with a laser. It's a round disk a little smaller than a dime. I was thinking to get a 2" piece of pipe the same diameter as the photosensor, paint the inside with flat black nonreflective paint, and mount the photosensor at the end, to block all ambient light.

Will a CdS photosensor work well with ~650nm red 1mW laser?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Hey folks,

For a project I'm working on, I want to use a laser with photosensors to detect if the beam has been interrupted. I was figuring to just use a ~1mW red laser because I don't want it to cause any damage to whatever interrupts the beam.

I've used Cadmium-sulfide photosensors before, but never in conjunction with a laser. It's a round disk a little smaller than a dime. I was thinking to get a 2" piece of pipe the same diameter as the photosensor, paint the inside with flat black nonreflective paint, and mount the photosensor at the end, to block all ambient light.

Will a CdS photosensor work well with ~650nm red 1mW laser?

Both cadmium-sulfide photoresistive and silicon photovoltaic cells work well at the red end of the spectrum. CdS cells can degrade if moisture gets inside; this is not a problem with silicon cells. On the other hand, silicon cells are MUCH more fragile.

tay

Enlightened
Does one have an advantage in terms of response time, i.e. will detect the absence of the laser faster, or will detect it if the laser is blocked and quickly unblocked.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Does one have an advantage in terms of response time, i.e. will detect the absence of the laser faster, or will detect it if the laser is blocked and quickly unblocked.

The silicon cell will have much faster response time, although we're only talking a few hundred milliseconds of a difference between the two. If you're going to use a modulated beam though, you definitely need silicon.

tay

Enlightened
No, wasn't planning on pulsing the laser. I just wanted a beam with a touch sensor that if I wave my hand through it quickly, it is able to detect the change.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounds like fun. Are you building a security system to protect against jewel thieves in ninja uniforms?

Ggiant85

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, found this site through google and have a related question, hopefully this isnt taken as thread jacking, but i was wondering if you could use these same photosensors to complete a circuit when the laser comes into contact with the sensor, if so, will the green variety of lasers react the same, and are these readily available, radio shack or something similar?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
in my practice all photo sensors react well to lasers, beit green, red, blue and even IR. i've used all of these to turn off street lights, setting alarm and auto door setups and a few other "booby traps" and even had made a rudimentary "laser harp" as a collage laser science project. the laser beam itself provides plenty of photons to react any of the sensors available. just make sure your alignment is right. :)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It doesn't make much difference whether the laser is red or green; I believe both silicon and CdS photosensors have sensitivity across the visible spectrum.

Ggiant85

Newly Enlightened
my intention for all of this is geocaching, if anyone has heard of it, i would love to be able to bounce the entire idea off someone that is familiar. :D

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that PhotonWrangler's laserharp post was made in 2009, but for anybody else searching for laser harp, one of our members here sells a circuit that you integrate with a laser and a scanning galvo. It's at illumination supply, google it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
the CdS cell will also activate quite nicely with IR, but UV has proven not to be as effective, perhaps the Silicon cell would be more receptive?

I believe that silicon photocells have a little more sensitivity to the blue end of the spectrum than cadmium-sulfide photoresistors. If higher overall sensitivity is needed then a phototransistor or photodarlington might be a good choice.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that silicon photocells have a little more sensitivity to the blue end of the spectrum than cadmium-sulfide photoresistors. If higher overall sensitivity is needed then a phototransistor or photodarlington might be a good choice.

game & match! phototransistors react to damn near anything including the 10,000nm (heat) range IR. lol