Brinkmann 3AA Tailcap, a huge P.O.S.!!

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
I received my 3AA last week, and had just 2 days to enjoy it before I went for a 3-day hike in N.H. (light did not join me on trip) When I returned, I was measuring the output of the sets of batteries I was testing and then one of the few (really, just a few) times I pressed the switch on, it had a "soft" return. From then on, the switch would not press in either (little resistance), like a bad spring. Like any other "Tinkerer" I took apart the tail cap and re-built it.....Twice. The first time, it seemed better than new for 5-6 clicks, the second time I had no such luck. Now I am stuck with a 3AA aluminum battery holder (not sure if am going to order a replacement switch). Has anyone ever had this or any other problems with their switch??

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
If it worked enoyably for two whole days, then who was home with yore light when you went hiking? The plot thickens...

Saaby

Flashaholic
The little brother
grin.gif
(That's me) you know, the one that breaks all your stuff...am I right?

wink.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spinkid:

My Brinkmann 3AA contains my first lock-out tailcap. I thought something was wrong until I figured out I had to twist 1/8 turn or so back off of full screw-in to activate.

I made the same mistake several times before I remembered how to operate.

Was your problem possibly a "cockpit" error before you disassembled the cap?

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
My light was actually in my toolbag in the back of my jeep for the weekend, but tools were misplaced,hmmmmmm (only kidding). From day one, I did find that the cap was a bit fussy with how tight it was, but even with the cap in my hand the switch did not work properly. The cap even had quite a bit of play in it when I received it. As for the "cockpit" error, it surely would not be the first time for that.