"Community Watch" -- One possible way to spread some flashaholism

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at my parents' today, and they had the case for the community watch patrol (it was their turn tonight). I opened the case to check the light that's included, which is a blue 3D Maglite (incan).

I clicked the switch and, drumroll please, was rewarded with a dim little spot of orange light.... same as the last time I checked this light months ago (I'm sure it's the same light). Is it a rule or something that all Mags have to have weak batteries that no one ever changes? I made sure to remind my dad that he take their own 3D Mag in which I installed the led dropin a while back.

Anyway, that weak light in the case made me think, it'd be hilarious to install a P7 upgrade or something like that into this light, and not say anything about it when you hand it off to the next person on the list. I had a good laugh at the mental image of someone clicking the switch to test the light and then wetting himself when 700 lumens come out!! :laughing:

GregWormald

Enlightened
The fact that the light is still dim a month later should tell you that if you mod the light, no-one will notice--because no-one will test it out.:mecry:
Greg

Bushman5

Enlightened
Its been my experience over the years from over 9 Community Watch groups that the flashlights are normally 2 D cell plastic lights from the hardware store. The few times i have brought my lowly TK11 along, the reaction has been WOW. you must be Military or sumtin, but the group is more concerned with just walking the hood and not about flashlights.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't normally say this,but 1 word:MagLED.(Whether its a store-bought drop-in,or a whole new Maglite,it'd do the trick.)

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't normally say this,but 1 word:MagLED.(Whether its a store-bought drop-in,or a whole new Maglite,it'd do the trick.)

+1

You might end up loosing the light due to some person "loosing or misplacing it"
and buying a standard Mag to replace it with.

If it was your fathers personal light that and won't be lent out, I'd say go for the P7:thumbsup:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would install some sort of Mag dropin in there as a present. Think about it this way:

1) Makes your parents safer by way of more illumination.
2) Makes the community they patrol safer by way of more illumination.
3) Makes you feel terrific.

I would *not* put something expensive in there in case the light "disappears." Any LED dropin will beat the poop out of what is in there now.