Hipwell flashlights

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few Hipwell flashlights. A couple plastic 2D cells with red traffic cones, and a metal 2D, (like the old Ray-O-Vac Sportsman). I got them at a hardware store several years ago. I recently read that Hipwell has gone out of business. Can anyone confirm this? I'm having trouble finding any info on them. I like the classic metal lights they made, and I wouldn't mind getting a couple more.

If they are indeed out of business, does anyone know where there might be some leftover lights in stock?

Thanks.

thunderlight

Enlightened
Hi Big Ed,

There was a posting about Hipwell a long time ago. Apparently, they went out of business around 2000. They made a number of the models for major manufacturers like Rayovac at one time.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I did a search for posts about Hipwell, and I was in each thread. I was just listing the lights I have in my car. I sure would like to find some leftover lights. I just love that classic chrome look.

lazylaser

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I did a search for posts about Hipwell, and I was in each thread. I was just listing the lights I have in my car. I sure would like to find some leftover lights. I just love that classic chrome look.

Hi big ed, This is an old thread and I'm sure you have found what you are looking for but, hipwell flashlights had an awesome video tour done by PCN tours in the year 2002. I can't find a link right now but I'm sure if you use your google-fu you'll find it. Here is an article from a local Pittsburgh news paper who bought the old plant, they might have some bits and pieces they might part with, who knows you could always contact them. http://blogs.post-gazette.com/index.php/news/city-walkabout/23936-old-flashlight-factory-to-be-relit