Kershaw Rainbow Leek review

bigcozy

Enlightened
I pretty much figured I was set when it came to blades, nothing new had really set me on fire in awhile. I happened to pick up a Squirt P4 and a Rainbow Leek at the gunshop last week just out of curiosity. The Leek is better than I thought it would be and looks to be a keeper.

First of all, the looks are pretty impressive. It is unusual to pull out a knife to cut something and have people want to see it instead of recoiling. The women that have seen it all want to handle it and turn it in the light. The finish looks better in person and mine has a green sheen that runs like and arrow head from the handle on to the blade and back. I don't like flashy stuff, but I do find it refreshing for people to actually admire a knife instead of treating it like I am carrying a WMD. The blade is a much better handling design than I would have believed. The drop point is about in the middle of the handle and makes precise tip placement very easy. The blade edge is mostly flat with a slight upturn to the tip. I found that normal chores were easily done, and I quickly picked it up over my more stubby spydercos, MODs, and fixed blades. I like a precise tip, and digging out a splinter in my finger was quick work with the Leek. Overall, the thin profile and large clip work very well in the pocket, I really like the blade profile (ugly though), and the looks have converted me some.

Downside: The finish, like the black finish on the Chive, makes the knife slippery. The finish does show fingerprints, but hasn't scratched yet. Those who have used this knife heavily have expressed suprise at the toughness of the finish. I would think the knife would look shabby quickly with some wear, but we will see. The Onion assisted opening is more of a gimmick to me, I don't like the effort and care in shutting the knife. Also the thumbstuds are almost useless in the opening process and the flipper is too small (IMHO) and it too is a little slick. The clip is regular polished stainless instead of rainbow, I assume that is to keep it from showing wear, but I didn't know that it came like that, so that is a heads up. The locking bar is a little hard to get ahold of and again, the finish makes it a touch slippery.

Overall, I didn't want to really like the knife, just wanted to check out the finish. It is a good knife, good size, fits well in pocket and the blade has really grown on me as has the finish. I got mine less than retail, and they will probably come down in price in time. For the right price, I would reccomend this knife.

Specs:

Length, Open: 7.0"
Length, Closed: 4.0"
Blade Length: 3.0"
Blade Material: 440A Stainless
Handle Material: 420 Stainless
Locking Method: Integral Liner
Opening Method: Speed-Safe
Clip: Yes
Weight: 3.1 oz

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice take on the Rainbow Leek -
perhaps one could regard the flashy rainbow finish a bit like camouflage - a diversion away from the assisted opening to admiration of the finish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's a long review I did of the plain uncoated Leek:

Kershaw/Ken Onion LEEK (pics)

bigcozy

Enlightened
Anyone considering this knife should read UnknownVT's review, it is very inclusive and includes several pics. Good work.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice review, thanks. the only thing i like about the rainbow leek is the finish. but for me the blade is too small and not a material(420) i want.

if they were the price of the plain i'd probably get one.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
but for me the blade is too small and not a material(420) i want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many thanks bigcozy and tkl for your kind words.

The blade steel on the Vapor is actually American made 440A steel - although still not exactly exotic or premium is a good step up from 420.

440A as many have found is actually a pretty good general purpose blade steel that's very rust resistant.

For example I've had my Leek for well over 3 months' of at home EDC use, and although I am not a heavy knife user - the Leek gets used whenever a very handy, quick and convenient knife is needed, and the only maintenance I have done was to strop the blade, twice.

The first time was "legit" as I actually saw a shiney flat spot at the belly just after about a month - the second time was superfluous, just because I could/wanted to.

I am looking at the blade right now (told you it's on me as my EDC) - there are no flat spots and it's sharp enough to shave.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
whoops, my typo, it is 440A. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
Nice looking knife! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
ks1660pvi.jpg