G-E 7w LED lamp now at Sam's Club

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I saw the same G-E 7W LED lamp at Sam's Club today that I've seen at Wal-Mart. The Wal-mart price is $36 but Sam's is selling the same lamp with slightly different packaging for around $26. Almost bought one on the spot.

Sorry, I didn't check the SKU but I'm pretty sure it's not the same. It comes packaged in a huge cardboard sheet, as opposed to the small sheet that's at Wal-Mart.

This is great- LED lights have FINALLY showed up at my Walmart- including a new one, a 10W unit made by GE with a MASSIVE heatsink on the outside.

It's got 4x LEDs in it and rated for indoor use only (boooooo!)

Price is 40$ for the 10W unit and still 36$ for the other one.

I'm going to try and get one...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
This is great- LED lights have FINALLY showed up at my Walmart- including a new one, a 10W unit made by GE with a MASSIVE heatsink on the outside.

It's got 4x LEDs in it and rated for indoor use only (boooooo!)

Price is 40$ for the 10W unit and still 36$ for the other one.

I'm going to try and get one...

I saw the 4x LED model at my local WalMart also. Almost bought one.

Did you see the 10W unit at Sams?

I went back to Walmart to check the lamps.

The 10w unit is 320 lumens at 3000K, 24 degree spot. There is a short and long neck version of the lamp- not sure unless it is for specialized fixture.

I haven't seen the unit on yet though... still cant' find out if there are other color temps or what- since I can't find the part number on GE's products list. I am asking some industrial contacts.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still waiting on tear-down pics....

BTW, you know the sylvania dot-its? Walmart has a new one, but instead of three 5mm LEDs, it has one Osram Golden Dragon.

I really really want to know what kind of LEDs GE uses... They look like they have a very warm phosphor. Walmart also has these very plain rectangular bars, about the size of a 12" ruler with three 3mm domes popping out the top. I can't tell what kind of LEDs these are, but I can see that the dies are larger than most 3mm LED dies, and have a very even phosphor coating.

Sometimes I think I'm more interested in how these LEDs are made than how they use them...

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, saw another interesting LED PnP bulb at walmart. It was a GE 4W GU10 replacement, and it had a 4-die LED! the pattern on the dies looked a lot like those of an acriche but without the bond wires in the middle, if I remember correctly. I don't know a lot about these, but I thought it was supposed to run at 12VDC, so an acriche LED shouldn't be compatible... Anybody else seen these? I am having trouble digging up a picture of the PnP "bulb" but here's a thread with a good pic of the acriche so that you can see that checkerboard pattern I am talking about:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/187950

Oh, by the way, there was no optic. If I didn't know better, I'd say they used extra faceted reflectors from the original halogen lamps and just came up with new guts for the Acriche

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The GE 4W bulb is probably running at 1W per die giving 4W (for long bulb life under extended use).

The TK40 is running at ~10W on max for double the output.

There will be a noticeable difference in brightness.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
not to mention different LEDs. the chips looked almost like those array chips that are in SSC acriche. I really need to get a cameraphone... I can't find pics of these or even info from GE verifying that they even make these. There's the big ol' GE ensignia on the packaging, but I can't find it on the internet... 4W GU10 based, no optic, for those of you who are better at searching than me

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went back and took a look and these are DEFINITELY Seoul Acriche LEDs. but for 40 bucks a pop I don't think I'll be playing with these anytime soon. They had the checkerboard patterned dies and the linking bondwires in the middle. It said 3000k color temperature

Canuke

Enlightened
I just picked up a PAR16 GE bulb for $24 at Walmart, that I think has the same emitter as the "GU10" you guys describe.

It's color temp is a bit cooler than the GE 7watt PAR26 (packaging specifies it at 3050K), and also lacks any filtering; the PAR26 is on solid, the PAR16 shows unfiltered fullwave flicker (120Hz).

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I just checked by waving my hand back and forth in front if it, and I do see definite strobing. Then I tried the same test under the same conditions with the larger 3-LED 7w unit - no strobing. It looks like this is confirmed.

Bright+

Newly Enlightened
I haven't tried the 7W, but I just picked up the 4W and its going back.

The amount of flickering is unacceptable. It is not smoothed at all and owing to LED phosphor's lower persistence than normal tri-phosphor fluorescent lamps used with a magnetic ballast.

http://www.cormusa.org/uploads/CORM_2009_-_The_Evaluation_of_Flicker_in_LED_luminaires__Grather.pdf

Look at page 22. Since the LED's phosphor offers almost no persistence, AC driven LED is worse than anything else in terms of flicker compared to incandescent, magnetic fluorescent and electronic fluorescent.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's of any help - I found these web images -

GE 7w LED -
GE7wLED73716.jpg

GE Part # 73716

GE 10w LED -
GE_PAR30.jpg

GE part # 75377

I think it's still very early days for any real adaption of LEDs for domestic lighting or possibly commercial lighting since the prices are still very high and the efficiency still does not rival fluorescent technology - at about 32 lumens/watt for LEDs vs. 51-66 lumens/watt for an average 13watt CFL (at 855 initial to 660 mean lumens)