Going to Wal-Mart, what should I get?

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of getting a Brinkmann Legend LX. Any suggestions for others or complaints about this one?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine last week... and I think it is really great!

Although, I had to fiddle with the bulb to get it to work initially. There is a post about this that speculates the bulb pins or the socket may have had some varnish on it. I just reseated the bulb and no problems since.

Another interesting Walmart light is the Energizer 2 LED folding lantern for $8. It takes 4 AAs and gives 100+ hours of use. Makes a great tent or camping light.

Ratso

Enlightened
I saw a Rayovac headlight with krypton bulb, 1 white LED and 2 Red LEDs. I believe its around $20. But I would rather get a streamlight Trident for the price.

They also sell Brinkmann Rebels and Long Lifes. And maybe a generic ClipMate style light?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just picked up the Brinkmann Legend LX at Wal-mart yesterday. I paid $19.95, I think. I was grocery shopping, and just had to browse thru the flashlight section. Just like alot members have said, this thing is bright! It's as bright as my SF E2e-HA. I still like my SF more, but for 20 bucks (and it includes 2 Sanyo 123s), it's IMO a heckuva deal.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Well, I think a 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 oil would be a good buy. $18.96 vs $25 in individual qts. Perhaps one of those George Foreman grills would come in handy.

I just couldn't resist when I saw the post!!!
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Alrighty, back to the topic. I too scan the wares at Wally Mart looking for that gem but I always leave empty handed (except for the oil) because nothing speaks to me.

The one thing I could suggest would be the AA MiniMag for the Opalec conversion.

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
The LX kicks some serious @$$. Only downside (to me, anyway) is that the threads on the head are just loose enough to make the head move enough to affect the beam quality. not really noticable unless you're trying to make the beam tight enough to burn things, tho.
shocked.gif

It also helps that I can get good 123's real cheap, too.
cool.gif
Mounting it in a makeshift tactical-mount on a paintball gun comes in really handy in night games.
grin.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
They sell a swivel/tilt 2AA Rayovac flashlight that's pretty cool - can't remember the name.

It's not very bright, you'll want to replace the bulb with one made for a mini-mag, but having a little light that you can clip or set down someplace, and point to what you're working on is often handy. I was using that, plus an LED headlamp today to do wiring work when the power was shut down.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a very interesting Dorcy 4 AA light with adjustable spot to flood and a combination handle/positioning arm; very compact for the versatile light that it is.

Although it is made of plastic, it seems very well made and reasonably durable. I've used mine several times where that adjustable handle was REALLY useful to point the light hands-free at just the right angle. Although you probably can't start fires with it, the spot can get pretty bright (plus it runs well on NiMHs).

This light is only $3.29.

It's hard to go too far wrong for $3.29.

I know it's not made of laser machined, submarine grade titanium... still, I think it is a good light that I have used successfully several times. I've never been sorry that I owned it. :)

Dorcy 4 AA light

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
And Walmart's the place to get the Dorcy Cool Blue, same thing as the Turtlelite I. Great bang for the buck light using 4-AA's, under $8

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the Dorcy really the same as the Turtlelite? I know the case looks exactly the same but for the color. I'd been wondering if the LED is any different. So many products these days in the US have many different labels and prices but all seem to come from the same source in China, it'd help to know for sure if any of the branded ones are any better.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this case it is; I also used the LED assembly in a direct interchange with my 4D cell Maglite, and put the incandescent bulb in the Dorcy.