Out of touch for a while- what's new?

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
Last year I posted about having achieved flashlight Nirvana. I have an EDC setup that I think is hard to improve on (Liteflux LF2 on keychain, Fenix L1T/P2T on belt), and I have all the flashlights my heart desires. I haven't posted here or felt compelled to buy anything new for a while, and I've even been thinking about selling off some of the lights I don't use.

I'm still curious, though, about what's been happening in my absence. Some questions:

• Have there been any technological quantum leaps similar to the Cree revolution of 2006-7?
  • What are the latest must-have, drool-worthy lights?
  • Are there any new, stupidly bright mag mods?
  • Have the 3.0 volt rechargeable 123 cells improved enough to match the capacity of primary CR123A's?
  • Is there anything that any of you are just really excited about and think I should be aware of?
Best regards,
:poof:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
So many new things that I wouldn't even know where to start. What type/style of lights to you prefer?

I'd make a visit to the Marketplace to see what's in the works with the dealers and manufacturers. That will answer a lot. :)

1996alnl

Enlightened
EagleTac will be releasing a P7 based (and R2) 2x18650 cell flamethrower soon. That light should be good for lighting up an entire football field.

Speaking of EagleTac,they have a couple new lights out with a new emitter Cree XP-E i believe. The P100c2 and the AA battery version P100a2.

Both fantastic lights,i have the P100c2.
Puts out over 200lumens with a 17670 cell and is regulated for about an hour and a half.

Lot's of new stuff out.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Since you're already familiar with the LF2, and presumably like it, check out the LF3XT. Uses 1 CR123, has all the programming abilities, two UI's, and a great ring free beam. A serious competitor to the Novatac and Ra. Also the very new NiteCore EZAA may be the next big (actually little) thing in 1 AA lights. It won't be in anyone hands until next week.

Welcome back.

Geoff

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still curious, though, about what's been happening in my absence. Some questions:

• Have there been any technological quantum leaps similar to the Cree revolution of 2006-7?
Sorry, no. We're ar R2 binned CREE, the SSC has a nicer beam, the Golden Dragon is interesting. The Multi-Core emmiters (4/die) the P7 and te MC-E, are interesting, still quite new. New neutral/warm tinted leds (e.g. CREE 5A tint), are very nice in my mind. So you could say incremental improvements, but worthy ones.

• What are the latest must-have, drool-worthy lights?
I like ZebraLight, ED2L, many 18650 based lights, Ra-Clicky, Ra-Twisty, shipping next week Nitecore EZAA, Aeon, LunaSol, PD-S, many more.

• Are there any new, stupidly bright mag mods?
Why Yes there are. See Malkoff P7 mod. I don't follow these, I'm sure there are more.

• Have the 3.0 volt rechargeable 123 cells improved enough to match the capacity of primary CR123A's?
Sadly, no. There are slightly better ones based on LiP04 chemestry.

• Is there anything that any of you are just really excited about and think I should be aware of?
See answers above, and also checkout the Legion II, DeFT, M1X, Proton Pro. Oh so many more... you'll have to invest some time.

sygyzy

Enlightened
I think every year (or twice a year), one of the mods (or a group) should create a post detailing the "year in review." I know, personally, I haev so many hobbies that I get immersd in one and learn all about it, buy the latest and greatest toys, then leave for 6-12 months, then come back feeling like a newb. I can't be alone in this. It'd be great for someone to read a post and be able to catch up.