Benchmade Griptilian

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i took a look at a bm griptilian with od scales today. didn't get to handle it as it was in a clamshell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but it looked damn good, it had the black coated blade which looks good new.

it was larger than i expected and now i want one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif only thing i'm not sure about is the blade steel. i wish they'd make it in 154cm or someting better.

how good is the 420 for holding an edge??

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
tkl, It was marked as 420? Mine is 440C (good ole well proven stainless) and I love it, mine is a Preproduction serial numbered model black handle polished blade and is my favorite travel knife, light weight and the scales are very nonslip!

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
420 is pretty bad.. if not the worst.
But camillus make a 420hc, which is a different bag,
it's relativly good.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Naw AUS-6 is the worst. I'd say 420 next then AUS-8 and then 425modified. Although I have a couple AUS-8 and 425mod blades and aside from needing sharpening more frequently I like em. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
my mistake, 440c. how does it hold an edge?

MicroE

Enlightened
My 440C Grip holds a edge just fine. It does all of the nasty cutting chores when I'm landscaping (cutting twine, weed-block fabric, stray branches, etc.) and I have no complaints. It is also easy to open when wearing leather gloves.---Marc

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, I haven't really had to do more than touch it up and I use it more as a weekender and a travel knife. 440C is a pretty reliable steel as long as its tempered right and Benchmade knows what they're doing. The axis lock is great too, just don't flip the knife open as some guys break the springs in the lock like idiots cause they flip, Benchmade sell replacements for the idiots though.

You remember all the early great stainless folders like the Buck 110 and alot of knives through the 60's to the '80's used 440C pretty exclusively so it is pretty much a stable proven performer and a "true" stainless too. 154CM, ATS34 and the AUS , CPM and SV steels are all highcarbon stainless' and will rust if not taken care of (which I know you would take care of them). I don't think you can go wrong with 440C though just never get a 440A knife. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,

ygbsm

Enlightened
I really like the Griptillian. And OD, tkl -- how can you say no (I don't, however, like black finishes -- although I just bought a MOD Dieter CQD Mk. 2 today with a TiN finish for more than I care to admit) ? I have to add, edge holding is also very much a function of how the steel is treated (heat etc.). The ATS 34 of the older Striders, for example, heat treated by P. Bos is a very different creature from "run-of-the-mill" ATS-34.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
ygbsm, where have you been? yes, od........mmmmmmmm..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

actually, it's for the wife to replace her mini griptilian.

budlight

Newly Enlightened
I have both the mini and regular griptillian and use them for just about any chore. The mini is my EDC. Amazing how quick they will open with a flick of the wrist, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Mike-

ygbsm

Enlightened
tkl -- great to see your posts. How have you been? That Griptillian is large enough to do some damage -- I don't that I'd want to encourage my wife that way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ygbsm said:
tkl -- great to see your posts. How have you been? That Griptillian is large enough to do some damage -- I don't that I'd want to encourage my wife that way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ] LOL, but that's the point. i give her pointy things, mace and other stuff that goes BANG! for self defense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
You cannot go wrong with the Griptillians! I have several and have been very well pleased with them. I normally carry a Mini in either blue or OD to work everyday as one of my small knives.

They make a red-handled dull trainer of the larger one that you might want to consider getting for her as well. I have one it it is pretty nifty.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've got a Mini Griptilian and will add my positive vote to the list! Nice tool...though my newest Gerber Harsey Air Ranger seems to have taken it's place clipped to my pocket. Both nice knives!

shrap

Enlightened
BM Griptos are great. I've got a 555, I prefer the oval hole openers, but the quality of the 556 that I had and sold was excellent.

They come in brighter (yellow, lt blue, purple) and darker (OD, gray) colors that make a nice change from tactical black. I would go for gray or OD w/ black blade.

Only slight problem - out of the box, they're nowhere as sharp as my Spydercos.

sph3ric_pyramid

Newly Enlightened
Speaking of which...

There's a 550 Griptilian in B/S/T right now! Gee, how convenient! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

*wink wink, nudge nudge*

/blatant advertisement

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In all seriousness, it *is* a great knife.