Questions about modding Terralux Ministar TLE-5 (Update: beamshots added)

ICCAFSN

Newly Enlightened
After receiving Olight and Fenix lights this past Christmas, I've been using my AA Minimags outfitted with Terralux TLE-5's considerably less. I figured now would be a good time to try my hand at modding the Terralux units. I've been finding fragmented pieces of information/accounts so I just wanted to get a couple points verified/clarified before I start potentially damaging my lights. I would be immensely grateful if someone could verify/correct the information I've compiled so far from threads I've seen on the forums.

As far as I've been able to gather, it seems like the most common Terralux Ministar TLE-5 mod is to desolder the original emitter, and to replace it with a Seoul SSC P4 emitter (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2026). My understanding is that this emitter will put out an amount of light between the original TLE-5 (using a Luxeon emitter) and the TLE-5EX (using a Cree emitter). Furthermore, a direct swap is all that is needed (no additional heatsinking required).

A Seoul SSC P7 (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11809) is brighter than a P4 but not useable in a 2xAA Minimag because 2xAA's are incapable of powering a P7. P7's also run hot and need good heatsinking which is not possible in a Minimag.

I also wanted to know if anyone had tried replacing the original emitter with a Cree Q5 emitter (e.g. http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1776). Would I have to do anything different in order to put in the Cree emitter? Would I have to add heatsinking? Would the electrical requirements be OK? And lastly, would a mod using this emitter make a Minimag similar to or brighter than a Cree TLE-5EX?

Also, what's the possibility of modding the Terralux unit with a Cree MC-E (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16849)?

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Re: Questions about modding Terralux Ministar TLE-5

Do a bit more of a search and you will find the answers you need!

The seoul P4 swap is what I did, and it's very effective. The EX unit drives the led harder so you get more output at the expense of runtime (2-3 hours instead of 4-6 hours). I prefer the extra runtime.

There are a few mods with washers replacing the plastic "do not remove" piece to help with heatsinking, but that is not needed on the TLE-5.

DOn't bother woth the P7, the reflector dimensions and the lack of proper heatsinking and such won't lead to good performance. YOu might be able to do it if you use a heatsink instead of the Terralux and add your own driver. There is a copper heatsink available here on Custom B/S/T for about $25. THen add a driver (around $10+) and the P7 (again $25+)... You end up with an expensive minimag project.

Go for it if you want to mod, otherwise, save your money for better P7 platforms.

Same thing with an MC-E, don't bother on this platform.

The seoul P4 is a direct swap on the TLE-5. A cree is a lot messier and also requires adjustments to the reflector to get a non-messy beam. THe smooth reflectors that come with minimag stuff tend to have ugly beams unless you sputter them or do some filing and try to adjust the beam (or just find a McGizmo reflector at around $15-17ish).

You can ado a lot with a minimag, you just have to decide if it's worth the time and money.

The seoul swap however, is a great mod, highly recommended.

ICCAFSN

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the great advice gunga!

You've convinced me that the SSC P4's are the way to go. I've got some other questions about modding other Mag-oriented LED products, but I'll start a separate thread for them.

ICCAFSN

Newly Enlightened

Got my SSC P4's (U-bin). I've gone ahead and swapped out the stock emitters from my TLE-5 (dome) and TLE-5 (side-emitter).

Here are some before and after pictures. In all the pictures with 3 lights, the leftmost light is a Lowe's Cree Task Force (TF), the middle light is a Olight T25 Tactical on high, and the rightmost light is the Terralux module. Lights placed 6 feet from the wall.

First off, here's the TF vs Olight vs TLE-5 dome @ 1/30 sec shutter speed before (left) and after (right) the SSC P4 emitter swap.
P5160108_2AA_StockTLE-5-Lamb_1-30.jpg
P5170147_2AA_P4TLE-5_Lamb_1-30.jpg

Next, here's the TF vs Olight vs stock TLE-5 side-emitter @ 1/30 sec shutter speed before (left) and after (right) the SSC P4 emitter swap.
P5160111_2AA_StockTLE-5-Side_1-30.jpg
P5170144_2AA_P4TLE-5_Side_1-30.jpg

Finally, here are side-by-side comparisons of a TLE-5EX (Luxeon K2) vs TLE-5 (P4, formerly side-emitter) vs TLE-5 (P4, formerly dome) vs Fenix L0D on high. The pictures are shot at 1/500 (left) and 1/30 (right) sec shutter speeds.
P5170151_StockTLE-5EX-K2_P4TLE-5-Side_P4TLE-5-Lamb_L0Dhigh_1-500.jpg
P5170150_StockTLE-5EX-K2_P4TLE-5-Side_P4TLE-5-Lamb_L0Dhigh_1-30.jpg

Interestingly, even though the middle two lights have the same driver and emitter, the reflector that came with the side-emitting TLE-5 decreases the intensity of the beam. I verified that the reflector was at fault by swapping the reflectors.

Last edited: