Question regarding MC-E (Tiny Monster needed)

thebigjim

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

With the IMR 16340 AW batteries available, would this work...?
MC-E P60 Drop in, With Surefire 6p Head and Tailcap, Solarforce 1 x CR123 Body, With 1 x IMR16340?

Will the single cell power the drop in? I really want the flashlight to be as small as possible. Would a better idea be to ue the Lumens Factory IMR LED?

Any help would be great, Ive been away for nearly a year, think im a bit out of touch with this technology lol.

Jim.

ykb

Newly Enlightened
I use a similar set-up, also opting for 1xIMR16340 cell to cope with a DX MC-E drop-in. It powers it fine :)
If the Solarforce short body still has the shorter threads at the tail end, a 6P tailcap may not work, at least in my experience.
I find the smallest configuration too small to hold properly!

jake25

Enlightened
DHart has done a Malkoff P7 dropin and an IMR16340

ykb I've heard spacers work with the L2m body. I believe Malkoff's spacer since its waved works well with the tailcap.

I'm still trying to push for a new order with L2m bodies that are fixed!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched Milkyspit installed a MC-E into a Sureifre E1B, powered by a single 3.7v lithium ion cell. May have been a IMR16340. It was a sweet light. It can be programmed for a very low low, and the high was impressive. :) You just have to be careful about not running it too high for too long.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming that the MC-E drop-in is wired in 4P, the IMR16340 should work in direct drive. If the light really pulls 2.8A from the IMR, you are going to get very short run times from that small cell.

If the drop-in uses a real driver, then it depends on the nature of the driver and how the MC-E is wired as to whether or not the single IMR16340 will work. For example, if the MC-E is wired in 2S2P and the driver is a buck driver, the single IMR most likely won't work.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, between 10 min and 20 min for full power direct drive, with steadily decreasing output thereafter as the cell voltage goes below the full power Vf, and thus won't deliver 2.8A to the LED. Still, the IMR16340 could sustain even 250ma per core near the end of an hour of run time, which means the MC-E is still at about 300+ emitter lumens.

I guess "short run time" depends on the definition of run time and the perception of short. A caveat is that this ignores any heat generation issues, which can be substantial for these P60 MC-E drop-ins that generally have pretty poor heat sinking.