• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Tool/s for opening heads, clicky switches?

mel

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought two Sundrops which I am thoroughly happy with, these really fit the bill for me.

However I was wondering what tools people are using to open them up.

Just a pair of pliers? Won't that chew them up a bit?
Is there some sort of key available?

The head is more out of interest but I would like to be able to easily change switches if needed.
I have pulled the boot off and had a look and can see the drive holes to use.
By the way, what a simple and effective way of retaining the boot, that really is a nice design (I understand that the lens is similar but am still scared to go there just yet!).

On the same theme, I see the spare parts on the Shoppe but from what Don said in one of his threads I suspect that the clicky switches do not have the drive holes pre-drilled. Is this still correct?
I did email the Shoppe a couple weeks ago but no response so far.

I do feel better if I have a couple spares on hand cause if a torch does go down I don't want to be hanging around waiting for International shipping. It would also be nice if I knew exactly what I was doing or could benefit from someones prior experience.
I hope someone could enlighten me here.
Thanks.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Mel,
No specific tool required or made for these parts but a number of needle nose type pliers or split ring pliers will work. There are also pliers for wire forming and split ring forming (jewelers trade) that have round cross section tips that work well.

The original McClickie switch did non have drive holes on the back side and yes, I have drilled a lot of these!! However, the original inventory of McClickie switches finally dropped down to the point that I could justify having another run of them made. These are a Rev 1 version and do sport some small drive holes in them. I believe you will find these available from the sources that handle the McClickie switch, like the sandwich shoppe. These just arrived a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the comment on the design of the window (or sapphire lens in the case of the SunDrop) and boot retention method. I am real happy with the simplicity and service from the design myself.

mel

Newly Enlightened
Ah, thanks Don.
I am glad to hear about the drive holes in the Rev 1 McClickies.
Now I just have to shop around for some nice new pliers!
Not before I visit my fathers tho, he does a bit of tinkering with watches so I will check out some of his tools first!

The SunDrop is first rate.
I am so glad I got these while I could.
A big thanks.

mel

Newly Enlightened
Thanks precisionworks, that clears that the lens is the same.
I didn't poke about 'cause the O ring looked tighter and I didn't want to mess up the lens with my fingers, what with AR on the back.
It just looked a tad more fiddly.
I still don't need to open it yet but when I do I won't hesitate now.
Thanks.