Help me identify this Victorinox SAK !

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened
The one from the right in this picture.

It has: large blade, can/botle opener + screwdriver combo, corkscrew, scissors, pen, tweezers and tootpick.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
itsme1234 said:
The one from the right in this picture.

It has: large blade, can/botle opener + screwdriver combo, corkscrew, scissors, pen, tweezers and tootpick.

[/ QUOTE ]

The knife on the right of the photos looks like the current
Victorinox Compact knife (54941) low priced at about ~$24
54941_l.jpg

size:91 mm | 3 1/2 inch
Large blade
Scissors
Hook
Bottle opener with can opener, wire stripper and large screwdriver
Mini screwdriver
Corkscrew
Straight pin
Ball point pen
Tweezers
Key ring
Toothpick
http://swissarmy.com/webstore/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=2332&category=39

This model used to be called the Golfer - but there were many different models that used this same name.

There was an earlier Golfer with a similar configuration but sized at 84mm (3 1/4") but I think it was discontinued before the ballpoint pen in the handle (post-1985).

The one in the photo is an earlier model (and probably called the Golfer) as it doesn't seem to have the multi-purpose hook - pre-1991.
(so it's probably between 1985-1991)

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
UnknownVT said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is,I believe, discontinued!
Haven't seen it in any shop for quite some time now, and it isn't on their site, or in any folder I've seen recently.
Seems there's only the Time Keeper now; same model with a small watch embedded in one of the handles.
The Compact has long been my favorite "Sunday" SAK. Over the years I've lost several /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif If I lose my current one, I'm up a certain creek with a paddle deficit, I fear...

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mark_van_Gorkom said:
[ QUOTE ]
UnknownVT said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is,I believe, discontinued!

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I'll have to take your word for it.

The photo I posted is from the Swiss Army Brands web site and they appear to show it (obviously) as a current model.

Here's the listing:
http://swissarmy.com/webstore/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=2332&category=39

If you're really worried about it being unavailable - there are numerous sources listed when I just did a search with www.froogle.com - use the following search term:
victorinox compact knife -signature -classic -card -manager -companion
(trust me - as "Compact" is a very common term and lots of other models will show up if you don't use all those '-' minus signs).

or use
Victorinox 54941
for some different vendors.

From this evidence alone I am inclined to think perhaps it isn't discontinued?

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Had a quick look with Google and Froogle, and I'm only finding American sites. Maybe you can only get one Stateside now?
It wasn't on Victorinox.com (but there's more knives missing there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif ) Plus I haven't seen it in any shop for quite a while, and I'll never just walk past a knives/multitools/flashlight display /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll have a proper look next time I'm in a German city (they're cheaper there anyway). It would be a fine state of affairs if I'll have to get my Swiss knives from the USA!! Maybe I'll better send an email to Victorinox (good for practicing my german too).

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mark_van_Gorkom said:
I'll have a proper look next time I'm in a German city (they're cheaper there anyway). It would be a fine state of affairs if I'll have to get my Swiss knives from the USA!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark,

Often a country's importer discontinues a SAK while Victorinox still makes them. Also not every country imports every SAK model.

So perhaps the Compact has been discontinued as an import for Germany and Netherlands?

I would be very interested in hearing the response you get from Victorinox.

The model # I gave was the US #,
the Swiss/international # for the Compact is: 1.3405

BTW - as you visit Germany - perhaps you can check to see if the very sought after (in the US) Victorinox Scientist is still available?

Scientist
fc1bead1.jpg

Swiss/international model # 1.6305

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for a scientist for months in Germany (well, only on-line, maybe I should walk to each and every little shop around here). But at least I know where to find the compact !

Offiziersmesser COMPACT , rot (91mm)
Artikelnummer: 1.3405 Stück
16,60 EUR

http://www.messerjoker.de/template/

(go to 91 mm Taschenmesser).

By the way: how much does it weights the Scientist ?

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Grand! So I can obviously still get them in Germany.
I'll just bookmark that link in case I lose one again, or drop another Swisstool down a train toilet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
No need to mail Victorinox now,I guess.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
itsme1234 said:
how much does it weights the Scientist ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry this took so long - I don't have accurate weighing scales at home
and had to go to the post office to use their weighing machine.

My customized Scientist weighed 2.3oz or about 65gms.