D cell 1.5Volt Lithiums?

NoMoreDarkness

Newly Enlightened
Ok many years ago, when I was in the active Army, I bought some lithium D cell batteries for my angle head flashlight. It made the light alot lighter. I am not sure, but I do believe they were made by enrgizer and were quite expensive. I bought them at the PX. I figured I would try them out to see if it would improve the run time on my flashlight. The weight savings was a nice bonus!

However, not to long after that, they vanished and I never saw them for sale again. I never gave it a thought at the time as I was not into flashlights back then as I am now. But today I cannot even find a reference online that they even ever existed! I can find 3.0 volt versions but does anybody recall the 1.5volt version?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
never heard of 1,5v lithiums d cells.
i know there are planty of 3, and 3.6v cells, they are expencive, and most aren't made for high amp draws.

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
Crompton, were experimenting years ago with these very batteries, but would not have been labled as crompton, they may have released some for research pruposes ?
tabetha

NoMoreDarkness

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all. I like the idea of 3 L91's in an adapter. Expsensive but cool:twothumbs. I still wonder about those batteries though. I guess they did not sell well. They came out roughly the same time the lithiums came out in AA.

JBorneu

Enlightened
You don't have 1.5 volt lithium D-cells in the US? I think I saw them in a supermarket here in Belgium (Delhaize, for fellow Belgians), made by Energizer. Maybe it's because you guys have the Energizer bunny which consumes all the Lithium D's ...

Edit: Nevermind, they were probably Energizer Ultimate's.

Last edited: