D-cell Alkalines... no longer worth it? Obsolete vs. other batteries?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
when alkaline cells drop to 1,2v they can barely provide any current, so a voltmeter may show 1,2-1,3v but under load it sags too low to be useful.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
If there's a viable alternative to alkaline D's for the average consumer, I don't see it.
Well, a 32650 LiFePO4 cell is just about the same size, and holds more or less the same amount of energy. With a little simple rewiring of the battery holder these could be used in lots of D-cell devices. Basically, you make a 2S cell holder in 2P. If you have 4S, you make it into 2S2P. As a bonus, the working voltage is 3.2V, so you get a bit more voltage than you get from 2 alkalines in series. If you're lucky and it's a device with a switching regulator, it might even work without modifying the battery holder.

Any disposable battery, regardless of chemistry, makes zero sense in a high-drain device. You spend a fortune on batteries if you use it frequently. If you don't, you take a chance the cells can leak while stored in the device. I recall back in the 1980s, when incandescent bike lights were all you had, I had a 4AA halogen light. Horribly dim by today's standards. Maybe it put out 30 lumens, if that. From day one I used it with 600 mAh NiCds. That was all we had back then but it was far better than spending a few bucks every couple of rides on alkalines. For starters I was broke. I just didn't have the money. And then it would have been annoying constantly taking trips to the store to buy batteries. When NiMH came out in the 1990s I was stoked. 3 times the capacity. Eneloops made things even better. I could store charged batteries, knowing if I needed them months later I didn't have to charge them first.

Really, Eneloops are the thing which should have made alkaline batteries obsolete if only manufacturers got the word out ( and there were eventual bans on selling alkaline batteries). Being that people are used to charging their cell phones, I'm not seeing that it's much of a leap to manage batteries in other devices.

Any issues of devices giving low battery warnings are on the manufacturer. Alkaline batteries are fully depleted at roughly the same voltage as NiMH, namely 0.9 to 1.0 volts. Maybe have the low battery indicator come on at around 1.1 volts. At that point neither chemistry has much left. The sad fact is, as you discovered, that a lot of devices don't even use most of the energy in alkalines. That's waste on top of waste. I wonder if this was intentional, to get people to buy more batteries?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea , at 3 times the cost, it defeats the purpose.
Well they won't leak. And long shelf life.

I'm not so sure about the NOT leaking claim. I recently went through my stash of batteries, and was surprised when I came across two Energizer lithium primary batteries (one AA and one AAA) that were discolored as though they had leaked. (I didn't touch them with my bare hand, and they went into the battery recycling bin.) These batteries had never been used, but had expired a few years ago, so...?

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there's a viable alternative to alkaline D's for the average consumer, I don't see it.

Why I raise the "recovery" activity, people can complain about high prices with some justification, but a lot less if much of the capacity (that I have seen) is thrown into the recycle bin. Some of the blame is on devices which under- utilize; industry which doesn't discourage as much consumption as possible; and somewhat consumers for being complacent, and not well informed (how many have and use battery checkers?).

3D and 4D LED lanterns around here run cells down to 1v or below, at reduced brightness.

Dave
NiMH (or NiCd) D is not the answer for a lot of users who do not want to be bothered with rechargeable cell management.

Even with alkalines you got to check the batteries regularly which basically makes Eneloops the best alkaline replacements. And I had a AAA alkaline completely destroy my Mag Solitaire. Tried drilling out the battery, battery was so bad that it fused itself to the flashlight tube and destroyed the LED emitter was cooked as well. I've seen some D cell alkaline Maglite carnage as well.

However Eneloops doesn't come in C or D size. As others mentioned there are 3 AA to D adapters where the Eneloops could be used in place of D alkaline and you're better off keeping the alkalines in a drawer and can change out the NiMHs for alkalines if necessary, however tests have shown Eneloops will stay charged indefinitely depending on whether the light drains batteries over time or not. One of my lights I have to store the Eneloops in a battery case but with other lights I can use to load them in an emergency.

As for actual D NiMh batteries, need more tests to see how long they will stay charged in a Maglite or other light. I don't see an easy solution in any case but whether you store Eneloops AAA > D adapters or NiMh D cells in the lights and have a partial charge or run the risk ruining lights with alkaline D batteries, or just get cheapo D flashlights and not worry about it.. I'd say that's up to the consumer.

For me I haven't bought an alkaline in decades other than what the light comes with. I still have AAA Eneloop Pros that in a Coast HP7 that's been charged for 4 years! From those being Pros that's impressive!

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost bought some 3AA to D (parallel) adapters, but I remembered my fan takes 4 D so that'd be 12 eneloops. I'm not sure I even have that many of one type (white and Pros).

If I had a huge pile of Eneloops to begin with then the adapters might be worth it to me, but like I said above, the 4D powered fan is probably my only justification for D cell alks anymore.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ikea sell eneloops for 2 bucks a piece, they are called ladda, but they are rewrapped eneloops, I posted a video of someone testing them, a while ago, but it can easily be found on YT.

Poppy

Flashaholic
We just returned from Disney, where my daughter bought a neat hanging thing that spins in the wind, like a wind chime. When it spins in the wind, if gives a reflective movement visual effect. Really cool looking.

Upon closer observation, despite the fact that there was a 5mph breeze, not all of them on display were spinning. Sun of a gun, most of them were motorized!

1690855611397.png

It runs on a single D cell.
My daughter assures me that the new owner is even more techy than I am.

Certainly there are the tenergy NiMh D cells. I don't know if he has a charger.
But there are also 1.5V Li-ion cells in the D size.
They vary in capacity.
What are your thoughts?

turbodog

Flashaholic
+1 for D cells in camping fans (4d) and camping lanterns (4d).

Also add to that an air mattress inflator with, you guessed it, 4d inside.

Too many existing 2d lights for the cell to go away. LARGE installed base.

Costco had some Duracell D cells on sale today for $1.08 each. I bought the 14 pack because I like to have some for back up. Currently I'm using the Amazon basic rechargeable D cells. 10 amp. I don't know who makes them but they are much better than any of the Tenergy's that I have had and disposed of.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Costco had some Duracell D cells on sale today for $1.08 each. I bought the 14 pack because I like to have some for back up. Currently I'm using the Amazon basic rechargeable D cells. 10 amp. I don't know who makes them but they are much better than any of the Tenergy's that I have had and disposed of.

I was wondering if those Amazonbasics D NiMH batteries were any good. Glad they are good.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We just returned from Disney, where my daughter bought a neat hanging thing that spins in the wind, like a wind chime. When it spins in the wind, if gives a reflective movement visual effect. Really cool looking.

Upon closer observation, despite the fact that there was a 5mph breeze, not all of them on display were spinning. Sun of a gun, most of them were motorized!

View attachment 46991

It runs on a single D cell.
My daughter assures me that the new owner is even more techy than I am.

Certainly there are the tenergy NiMh D cells. I don't know if he has a charger.
But there are also 1.5V Li-ion cells in the D size.
They vary in capacity.
What are your thoughts?
Eneloop in an adapter?

Poppy

Flashaholic
Eneloop in an adapter?
Again, I don't know if he has a charger. But If one is to use a single eneloop in an adapter, one may just as well get an Energizer NiMH D cell, without an adapter. They have about the same capacity, IIRC.

If I was to suggest that, I'd suggest the Tenergy NiMH D cells, but @BigusLightus suggests that the Amazon ones are even better.

Hence the question remains, how good are the LiIon 1.5v cells? Considering that he may need to get a charger to complete the set.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again, I don't know if he has a charger. ............................................................................................................................................................... how good are the LiIon 1.5v cells? Considering that he may need to get a charger to complete the set.

Personal opinion only, but I wouldn't give Li-Ion cells and charger to someone who was a complete beginner to rechargeable batteries.

I've seen package bundles for sale that include AA Eneloops, AA-to-D adapters, and a charger all together.

I've got 4 of the AA-D adapters and they work fine. Might not be good for high current draw uses though, due to the increased contact resistance that adds up between the AA and the D shell/container contacts. But I've run them in Mags with the stock 0.7 amp bulb with no issues.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Might not be good for high current draw uses though, due to the increased contact resistance that adds up between the AA and the D shell/container contacts.
Conversely, you only need a third of the current per cell for standard triple adapters. I run a moderately power-hungry 2D modified maglite with a pair sporting 14500s and it runs great.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Conversely, you only need a third of the current per cell for standard triple adapters. I run a moderately power-hungry 2D modified maglite with a pair sporting 14500s and it runs great.

Ah, good point on the triple adapters. The Eneloop brand adapters only hold a single AA.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The Eneloop brand adapters only hold a single AA.
I hadn't even considered those. I recall they omit the negative contact of triples at the real risk of the AA cell's negative contact not connecting with the device's complimentary negative contact.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hadn't even considered those. I recall they omit the negative contact of triples at the real risk of the AA cell's negative contact not connecting with the device's complimentary negative contact.
These have a wide metal area at the base for a contact on the outside of the case. The bottom itself (with the contact) is the cap that unscrews to install the AA.

One minor benefit of this: you can leave the cap off of all the adapters except the last one, which results in a shorter battery stack than the D cells would be. So in a long enough light, you can cram in an extra cell, though you'll probably have to shorten the light's tailcap spring.