HDS Systems

Thread: Looking for some Antenna HDTV help...

Default Looking for some Antenna HDTV help...

This is my HDTV, a Samsung LN19B360 or LN22B360, depending on what side of the manual you read. It's nice.

My problem? I can't pull a thing off any antenna. I live on the ground floor of an apartment complex built in the late 70's. I can't hang anything outside.

I've tried almost every stinking HDTV antenna. I've tried no antenna. And I still can't pull any of those lovely free DTV signals.

Any suggestions?

Flashaholic

Default Re: Looking for some Antenna HDTV help...

Terk makes the TV55 its an indoor outdoor amplified HD Antenna. chances are noone would notice it mounted outside. I have Terk indoor model HD-TVi on 2 tvs as well as cable and the over-the-air HD signal blows cable off the radar. I use it for my windows media center to record in full HD when I can. http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...rvlet/terk.jsp

I'm having trouble getting decent reception with a small kitchen set. It worked acceptably before digital, but now with a converter box only a couple stations come in. I tried an amplified antenna, too, with no luck. There's just not enough signal to amplify.

Wish I had some good advice for you. Until the TV stations improve their broadcast a lot of folks may be out of luck, except through cable or sat.

Geoff

Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees

My experience has been similar to Flying Turtle's. I am afraid that with digital signals, either there is enough of a signal to begin with or you are just amplifying noise. I have not seen evidence that amplified antennas are any better than non-amplified ones given they share the same antenna design. Fortunately for me, I have a home and was able to install a Channel Master 4228 to get a signal. Of course, now my tuner broke so I am back where I started.
    Last edited by mudman cj; 08-23-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Quick and easy lookup of stations you can realistically get: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Way more detailed index of all stations in your area, with mapping and signal strength indicators: http://www.tvfool.com/

Build your own big-gun HDTV antenna with a board, some wire hangers, and screws/hardware bits: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200..._steadyca.html

It's very hard to know what signal levels are available at the outlet without access to a good TV field strength meter.
    Seems to me that all the antennas you have tried should have given some sort of result, are you using the same cable to test each antenna? Is the cable properly terminated at the antenna and the outlet or connector (if the cable goes straight to the TV and not an outlet) if you are using a wall outlet is the fly lead between the set and the wall OK?
    There could be a fine wire from the braid of the cable shorting out the signal either at the socket, antenna or at a plug (I guess your using F connectors).
    I'm just listing thing I know would cause the symptoms you describe, it's very unusual to have tried multiple antennas with no result. As already mentioned check the web site given http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx by StarHalo.
    Norm

Thanks for the links, StarHalo. That homemade antenna looks interesting. However, I don't think my wife would allow it in the kitchen.

Geoff

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Turtle View Post
    Thanks for the links, StarHalo. That homemade antenna looks interesting. However, I don't think my wife would allow it in the kitchen.
    Out of his links, I'd say the TVfool.com website would be your best bet... especially if you have a directional antenna (generally anything other than rabbit ears). You may very well not have your antenna pointed in the correct direction, thus picking up a reflection of the signal + not the main signal itself... once you get it aimed in the right direction, also try tilting it up/down a few degees (which sometimes helps)

Adding a signal amp is often not needed + can actually cause more problems... if you boost the signal too high... similar to if you'd take a picture with too much light + over saturating things (everything looks white)

I personally only have OTA (over the air) TV - no cable or satellite in my household. I live about 70 miles from the nearest transmitting station + my only option was to put up a large antenna similar to the homemade antenna. (A commercial version - the CM4228). I also needed to add an amp... mine has a boost level knob.... it only needs to be about 1/4 of the way up to hit the sweet spot for best signal....

I made a 4 bay antenna out of coat hangers and house wire and a board that works great. I got the info off another forum.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.