Recommendations for Xenon Arc Lights

kepano

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I'm a bit of an oddball here, having only recently gotten interested in arc lights. I've been snooping around these forums and have already found lots of great info.

I'm currently working on a project for which I need a large spotlight to illuminate photosensitive material. I ran a test today with a Xenotech Britelight 7000 which worked amazingly well, unfortunately these cost around 14K new.

What I am looking for is a very bright searchlight or spotlight that uses a xenon arc. The most powerful one I could buy for under $3000 would be ideal. I have seen interesting posts about military searchlights (VSS models) but I would love your advice on what equipment would be best and where to buy it.

Thanks!

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some 4000 Watt Xenon search lights on ebay that set a new record for low price that I've never seen before, and within your budget. Particularly some listed for $2699. That's like giving them away.

kepano

Newly Enlightened
Interesting! The model from Git Lit seems like it may work. I'm wondering if I could find a 7K below 5 grand...

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
kepano,

I once did a test for a t-shirt guy I shared building space with. He was previously exposing his screen print film using a crude source of light. I recalled something about xenon long-arc lamps for this purpose.
So we bolted my 19" HMI searchlight to his ceiling, opened the glass cover to unblock the UV and began our little demo.
I worked fairly well.
Don't know if the wavelength and UV output from HMI lamps are suitable for your material, but I can assure you that from personal exposure/experience that from even 6 feet away, and using protective gear, what few areas of skin not shielded from the rays tend to roast quickly from a bare bulb.

These lamps operate on AC ballasts and are reasonably affordable.
Standard ballasts without the enclosure are around $ 200.00, and the igniter for about $ 75.00, at least not too long ago.