12,720 lux Cyan 5W *ag*ite 2D Mod

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just modified a 2D Maglite for a CPF member. I put in a cyan 5W, and am using the reflector. I put in two of the sample 3-To-D holders, and 6 new AA alkalines. This CPF member wanted to break the 10,000 lux barrier, so instructed me to put in less resistance. I put in a 5 watt .5 ohm resistor (I sell on my web site). I measured an amazing 12,720 lux at 1 meter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In the past I never much cared to use a Mag reflector with the Luxeon Star. But these modifications with the cyan 5W are truly amazing. Also, since our eyes perceive light in this spectrum of the light best, it must even make it seem more bright. It just sends a piercing beam into the night air. Quite amazing!

Wayne j

John Frederick

Enlightened
Beamshot perhaps? This sounds like an awsome mod. BTW, I bet you didn't look into that beam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Hey Wayne, when you view the beam on-edge or at a very obtuse angle, can you see the beam in the night air, tantamount to a light saber? I've seen professional laser shows that displayed a <font color="cyan">CYAN</font> laser beam, but the operator told me that the unit cost him nearly 10 G's. Ouch! But back to your mod, it sounds like it genuinely earns the moniker "Blaster".

Ed.

jtice

Flashaholic
WOW EXCELLENT!... that HAS to be amazing to play with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Im gonna have to make one sometime... sounds like the perfect "WOW Factor" light.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! Skipped right over the 10K-11K Lux mark!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stangster

Newly Enlightened
WOW..
eyecrazy2.gif

What would a white luxeon do??

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably a lot less... The whities lose a lot of lumens due to the phospor coating...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cyan colored beam should register a higher Lux reading to a light meter. And the phospor coating should reduce the amount of light emitted as well (think of it as scotch tape)...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I'd expect something like a good W3V (or X-bin) to register as much as 9,000-10,000 lux direct drive...

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
e=mc² said:
Hey Wayne, when you view the beam on-edge or at a very obtuse angle, can you see the beam in the night air, tantamount to a light saber? I've seen professional laser shows that displayed a <font color="cyan">CYAN</font> laser beam, but the operator told me that the unit cost him nearly 10 G's. Ouch! But back to your mod, it sounds like it genuinely earns the moniker "Blaster".

Ed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it has a very visible beam shooting into the air. Quite impressive to see. The beam is not as narrow a beam as I would like to see, so that is why the high lux reading amazes me. It isn't a thin tiny beam. It's not a perfectly formed spot like when using a 1 watt lambertian with a 30mm optics. It is larger than that. I think the new owner of this light should be happy with it.

Light saber? Yeah, it's sort of a light saber. It also is somewhat focusable, wide to narrow beam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wayne

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm the ecstatic owner of this amazing light. I can't provide beamshots but I'll do my best to describe it.

I haven't taken it to the country yet but I'm looking forward to it. When it is shined from a meter at a white wall the hotspot is painful to look at and ruins and I mean ruins my night vision for at least 30 minutes. In my living room the side spill is amazingly bright. I did not know that cyan makes fluorescent objects glow but this sure does. Outside it lights up the tops of 100' tall trees from 100' away big time. It seems more useful than I would have thought because each shade of green is accentuated, some of them get very dark. Tree branches stand out highly contrasted to foliage. It is so bright I'm a little concerned about bringing unwanted attention to myself.

When shining it straight up into the sky even on a low humidity night you see a very bright beam. To my eyes this light is much brighter than a 20,000 candlepower incandescent.

One most excellent feature of this light is that it is powered by two of Wayne's sample 3 to D battery holders. Knowing that I sometimes have difficulty getting the first olive out of the jar, Wayne kindly hand painted + and - symbols on the two holders for me. It won't be a problem for you guys...pretty easy to figure out. Two positives up, one positive down. They slide in and out of the donor with ease but the only way I can hear any rattle is if I shake it quite vigorously. I tried them in a Blaster VI and the tolerance is slightly tighter. If Elektro Lumens production version of the 3 to D holders are like these samples, there are going to be some real happy campers around here.

This is a very nicely built light with phenomenal output. I suspect that some of you would appreciate the 3 to D holders as much, if not more than the beam.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh god this has got me very excited. I guess I'm going to have to go with both the reflector and 30mm optics for my cyan, as I can't decide on which, brightness or med throw + flood! Good to hear that the beam is still bright but not super small! I gotta get this made soon! **DROOL**!

God I'd love to have one of those the other night. I was in a drive through and some guys in the car behind me had one of those handheld 2million spotlights and shined it at me. I would have loved to zap them back with a 5w Cyan. They sure would be caught off guard!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

freeze12

Enlightened
I received My 6AA -- 2D adapter 5W Cyan light & it is the brightest light I own!!! Cyan Rule's!!! The light is not heavy & I had it powered for 6 hour's on a set of Batteries...This thing is not a Flashlight...it is a "Laser beam"!!!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if you had got yours yet, freeze12.

6hrs. ? WOW! Sounds like you are as impressed as I am. This thing is one bad puppy. Very cool.

I guess it's time to order a UCL and push this beast up to 13,500 lux.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ElektroLumens said:
I measured an amazing 12,720 lux at 1 meter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wayne j

[/ QUOTE ]

The brightest (lux wise) one yet Wayne. Gonna be hard to beat!

H

freeze12

Enlightened
Icebreak ... Yep, I have mine plus 2 other Mod's by wayne: 5-D 2-5watt cyan, 3-D 4-1watt white plus the latest 2-D 5watt Cyan mod. I plan on putting in .5ohm resistor on this one to really dazzle the overhead Aircraft!!!

THANK'S WAYNE!!!!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
!!! IceBreak: when you get an UCL please let us know how big of a difference! (do you have a lux meter?)