New Eneloops and camping trip

palomino77

Newly Enlightened
I just got my C9000 and decided to break-in new eneloops 2 x AAA and 4 x AA, for camping trip tomorrow I discharged at 100 mah then put on break-in was about 10 hours into break-in when it accidentally got unplugged since I didn't know what to do and didn't have enough time to discharge and start over again I put on refresh at 300 charge and 200 discharge for AAA and 500 charge & discharge for AA.
The AAA are done already and the results where:
# 1 507 mah 1.45v
# 2 786 mah 1.49v
Not good. :sigh:
Well any way I don't have time to break-in before trip so I will take that way.

My question is if I use with this refresh and later when I come back break-in, is this OK? Or will I hurt Batteries? :thinking:

Last edited:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compare your charge rates to what the manual for the C9000 recommends. I think that the normal charge rate should be at least 0.3C for NiMH cells, which means that charging your AA cells at 500 mA (=0.25C for a typical 2000 mAh AA cell) would be too low. For regular, non-conditioning charge cycles, I charge my AA cells at 1000 mA.

One exception is the slow break-in cycle, which charges at 0.1C for 16 hours, resulting in an intentional 60% overcharge. Here, the C9000 asks you for the cell capacity and then calculates the charge & discharge rates for you.

I think that the break-in cycle expects an empty cell to start, so be sure to run the discharge function prior to using break-in.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
# 1 507 mah 1.45v
# 2 786 mah 1.49v
But look at your voltages here: they are 1.45 V and 1.49 V. That means you are looking at the mAh readings after charging, rather than after discharging. (The voltage will be 1.45 or more when charged, 1.20 or less when discharged.) You can't read too much into the charging figures as you don't know that state of charge before you started. (Edit: actually this is not quite right because after the refresh the batteries are recharged. But anyway, it's still not much to worry about in light of the later result.)

I just finished discharging #1 AAA Eneloop at 200 mA it gave 780 mAh @ 1.20 V. Anybody know why?
Now this is your discharge figure because the voltage is low. And you have a good number because presumably the battery started out fully charged.

Don't worry. You really can't hurt your batteries with eneloops and the C9000 no matter what you do (well you can, but only if you enter the wrong capacity into a break-in cycle -- don't do that!).

Last edited:

palomino77

Newly Enlightened
But look at your voltages here: they are 1.45 V and 1.49 V. That means you are looking at the mAh readings after charging, rather than after discharging. (The voltage will be 1.45 or more when charged, 1.20 or less when discharged.) You can't read too much into the charging figures as you don't know that state of charge before you started.

Now this is your discharge figure because the voltage is low. And you have a good number because presumably the battery started out fully charged.

Don't worry. You really can't hurt your batteries with eneloops and the C9000 no matter what you do (well you can, but only if you enter the wrong capacity into a break-in cycle -- don't do that!).

Thanks Mr Happy,
I really appreciate you taking the time to explain. I won't make that mistake I promise. :D