Solarforce CR123a

shark_za

Enlightened
Having had a cell go terrorist on me before and also reinforcing this by reading more episodes on CPF I have a healthy fear of junk CR123 lithium primaries.
My Surefire 6P turned on in my pocket and when I felt it was warm I turned it off and tried to open it.
BLAM! something sounded like and electrical short and the rear rubber of the torch blew open.

The cells were a yellow covered American name brand but I may have mixed a fresh one with a depleted one in this case.

The topic, does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Solarforce branded CR123 primary cells?
I use the protected Li-Ion's in both 16340 and 18650 sizes and have nothing but good things to say so far.

Do I trust the lithium primaries from China or not ?
The standard rule has always been to only use USA made cells but do you think Solarforce would brand junk ?

Conan

Newly Enlightened
I was just wondering the same thing myself. I have a Solarforce L2 which came with four pieces of Solarforce CR123A batteries. I'm wondering if I should throw them out and use some of the Duracells that I bought a lot of.

Actually I'm even contemplating dumping my CR123 powered lights in place of AA/2xAA powered ones. It's scary reading the posts about venting/exploding lights.

mfm

Enlightened
I suggest following that rule and enjoying your CR123 lights.

He already had an explosion with American made CR123As. I doubt Solarforce CR123A's would have made any difference though.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
He already had an explosion with American made CR123As. I doubt Solarforce CR123A's would have made any difference though.

The O.P. mentioned he may have mixed & matched a new cell with an old one. That's a big no-no. Another one is using primary cells which are Made in China. It's all about Q.C.

Conan

Newly Enlightened
What about the Sanyo CR123A that came with my Fenix TA21? The battery says "made in Japan", should I keep them or throw them out too?

Last edited:

mfm

Enlightened
What about the Sanyo CR123A that came with my Fenix TA21? The battery says "made in Japan", should I keep them or throw them out too?

Sanyo is probably equal to or better than Surefire (Panasonic?), so keep them.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yup, keep them. It's the Made in China CR123 cells that should be disposed of properly. Keep them away from your lights the way a father would keep horny boys away from his little girl.