New binning structure from Lumileds

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Missed the AB21 document. Thanks for the post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
keithhr,

Sounds like we will theorically get more consistent "tint" with the new binning structure within a particular reel of emitters. The old structure uses CCT only (constant color temperature) while ignoring the perception aspect of the human vision system. The new system takes into account the perception aspect (tint) of our vision and therefore, for a particular bin, we would "see" less variation between the LED's. The CCT grading explains why for a given particular reel of emitters, there is a great variation of "tint".

(For those theorist/physicists who want to delve into theory, do a search on "Planck" and "black body radiator" on the web)

Peter Gransee at Arc told me once what their reject rate is within a particular reel of LED's and it was astounding. The old binning systems is the biggest reason. It's good Lumileds is responding to feedback from customers. With the new binning structure in place, manufacturers of lighting products would see less scrapping of rejected LEDs and it is a benefit to us all. Though I do wonder about how much additional cost Lumileds will incur in implementing this new binning structure and also how it will affect the yield.

CM

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
I am wondering about their much-hyped "warm white" which is due out soon. Will they be nothing more than "relabled" greenies. Because some of the greenies that I have seen are more of an earthy tone of green sort of olive or brownish olive. I just hope that's not what they really mean by "warm white". I still do like the "colder white" of the QL3 series, not too blue or purple, but just a cool white. Why wreck a good thing. Warm white sounds to me like "incandescent yellow", one of the main reasons that I've gotten rid of them all and replaced them with LEDS. ....Just a thought that keeps ruminating about in my head lately.

Ed.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know if it will just be browinsh tint, or if it will be a new process. Like maybe a diffrent color phosphor and a different colored LED die? So that it has a orangeish tint instead of green.. That would be unique.

Something else caught my eye in those pdf's, if I remember correctly, is that the luxeonIII, V, etc would be rated in milliwatts now?!? like the RB ones..?

I wonder what luxeonIII will be. Wonder if the die will be small and low in the emitter, like the 1watt, allowing 30mm to be used to make insane lux readings!!