• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New LOGAN LED flashlight

Curt R

Enlightened
We will be coming out with a new flashlight in the next week or so using the Cree XP-G R5 LED
called the LOGAN. That is a mountain near the McKinley. It will use the same body and head as the
old seven LED 5mm McKinley.

RMSK should have the #8s in Brass and Stainless about the 10th of January and the HA soon after.

The optic in the new LOGAN flashlight has a Candela input to output ratio of 29.58 to 1, and the
measured bare bulb output of the XP-G R5 at one amp of drive current is 78 Candela. That gives
a theoretical output of about 2300 Candela. The new K2 flashlight ratio is 47.92 to 1 for a 3700
Candela output and the Night Patrol 300 is 72.50 to 1. Output would then be approximately
5600 Candela for the NP300s. The Eiger ratio is 9.25 to 1.

A quick bench test with the Logan optics gives these initial results with a more accurate test to follow later.

50 mA drive to the XP-G R5 is 150 Candela output.
100 mA @ 303
200 mA @ 536
350 mA @ 915
500 mA @ 1247
750 mA @ 1677
1000 mA @ 2070

A posting in the LED sub-forum on the Cree XP-G R5 in bare bulb, gave the following results:

40 mA 16.70 Lumens @ .11 watt
60 mA 25.81 Lumens @ .16 watt
100 mA 43.65 Lumens @ .28 watt
200 mA 86.16 Lumens @ .58 watt
350 mA 145.37 Lumens @ 1.05 watts
500 mA 200.03 Lumens @ 1.55 watts
700 mA 265.31 Lumens @ 2.22 watts
1000 mA 351.09 Lumens @ 3.26 watts

The Logan in the #8 power level will use a buck-boost circuit to drive the LED at 1 amp current. The Light is
the same size as the original McKinley light with the seven 5 mm LEDs. That light output was 190, (HP),
or 240, (SP), Candela. The new Logan will use either the CR123A Lithium battery or the RCR123A, (16340),
Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. There is also a 2 x AA battery compartment.

Curt

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: The new light sounds good, though to choose the right level I need to wrap my brain around runtime vs. brightness vs. how hot it will get to hold (I don't like lights which run hot).

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounds like a great light. Comparing the Candela values it looks like it will have TEN times the output of the McKinley! Yikes...
I always liked the McKinley, I'm sure I would love the Logan.
I'm glad that it can run on either primaries or RCR's. I never ran my McKinley on RCRs for more than a minute or so because it got too warm.

You say that the #8 output will have a buck/boost circuit. Do some of the lower powered levels have a buck only circuit, and therefore an inherently more efficient circuit [over and above the greater efficiency of running at a lower drive level] ?

Good luck and good health in the New Year.
Thrifty

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will we be able to purchase just a head assembly to upgrade an old McKinley? :D My old SS snow white one needs some new life.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will we be able to purchase just a head assembly to upgrade an old McKinley? :D My old SS snow white one needs some new life.
That would be a nice idea. Which brings me to an off topic question... Is there a modern Peak head that fist an old Matterhorn SS body?

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
hogger is correct.... my matterhorn heads will interchange with the Eiger heads- all materials that I have tried- Brass, SS and HA in all three combinations.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seems to be some conflicting info on the RMSK website. Is the Logan 2500 or 4000 candlepower?

On the main screen it says up to 4000 candlepower, but when you click on the Logan is says 2500 candlepower.

busseguy

Enlightened
does anyone know if this will be atleast 90 Lumens?.

I use to have the fenix P1D CE and it was rated at about 90 lumens.
I loved the brightness of it, but the light is dead and I want to replace it with a peak. This one seems to be about the size of that fenix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also would it have atleast 1 hour of continous brightness?.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can order their lights at any power level you want. It's only a conservative guess, but the #8 level, the highest, is probably at least 150 lumens. Though they don't rate their lights by lumens.

I spoke with Peak last week about this and it uses the same driver as the El Capitan, but with a slightly narrower beam.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Curt, still waiting for a reply to my PM, which I can see that you read by the way.

I find it a bit confusing that you have a customer willing to do business, but you apparently don't need my business or want it.

Others have advocated telephoning Peak, but since I'm in the UK, calls are expensive and there is also a time difference.

In addition, ordering from RMSK doesn't appear to be an option for overseas customers.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
easilyled - I just thought I'd chime in to help in an off topic kind of way.

I'm also in the UK, and have been waiting on an order for a while - not impatiently, but attentively.

I decided to ring as I would get instant results for my queries and that the cost of the call would only be about 90 pence for a three minute call ( It took 2 mins 50 secs ). The time difference is seven hours behind us ATM.

I find them nice people to deal with and I'm sure they will attend you as well. In a timely manner. They are not crooks or fly by nights. But, as others have said - this is not their only business.

The Logan does look nice - maybe later in the year (sigh).

easilyled

Flashaholic
easilyled - I just thought I'd chime in to help in an off topic kind of way.

I'm also in the UK, and have been waiting on an order for a while - not impatiently, but attentively.

I decided to ring as I would get instant results for my queries and that the cost of the call would only be about 90 pence for a three minute call ( It took 2 mins 50 secs ). The time difference is seven hours behind us ATM.

I find them nice people to deal with and I'm sure they will attend you as well. In a timely manner. They are not crooks or fly by nights. But, as others have said - this is not their only business.

The Logan does look nice - maybe later in the year (sigh).

Thanks Nyctophiliac, I appreciate your advice. Perhaps you could PM me the tel. no. including the international dialling code please?

I know that Peak have a good reputation and I already have one of their lights, a brass Rainier.

Nevertheless, other business concerns nonwithstanding, it is still peculiar to me that I have to practically beg them to sell me their products.

I thought the whole point behind the business was to sell them.

Maybe I was mistaken. :thinking:

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
hi.

well,after reading a lot about peak,i dropped an email to robyn and curt,and yesterday i got an answer from them (thanks robyn :wave:).
i just wanted to know if they ship internationally.looks like they do,so i guess i don´t have any more excuses to order my first peak!!
i want a small flashlight so i saw the el capitan and liked it a lot.but yesterday i red about the logan....

oh boy.it was love at first sight!!!
well,the problem here is they talk about candels,and watts.i´m not expertice and don´t want to mess things up doing wrong calculations.

i want my light to be arround 120 lumens, but also to have a runtime of more than an hour.i´ll be using 16340 mostly.
so am i right if i order a logan #7?or #8 will provide me more than an hour of run time??
thaks in advance.

tony

busseguy

Enlightened
I just talked to Kurt on the phone about the Logan yesterday using the rcr123 battery. He said it should put out 150 lumens and have 1 and 1/2 hour runtime which sounds perfect for me.

Im not sure about your battery though.

I cant wait till I can get this light..:cool: