CR123A Storage

kingpker7

Newly Enlightened
I plan on storing my Surefire Saint Minimus in a sunglass microfiber stuff sack for backpacking. I want a way to store one or two batteries while away, and was thinking of storing them in these small plastic bags.

They are very small sealable plastic bags. I originally used them for storing my medications in my first aid kit, and have plenty leftover. I plan to put the bag in the stuff sack with the headlamp.

Is this a good idea? Will the batteries and the headlamp react?

Thanks for the help, I'm rather new.

-Ryan

carrot

Flashaholic
Pretty much all batteries commonly used are sealed, such that you do not have to worry about moisture, etc. However, to prevent them from being shorted you should want to store them in some kind of case or holder. Personally I am a big fan of the 4x123 holders sold at Lighthound and Countycomm, as well as the Pelican 1010 battery case sold at Battery Station (with batteries, even!) and the Surefire SC battery cases.

For your application, the first ones I mentioned may suit you best.

kingpker7

Newly Enlightened
Those are really nice! I will have to look into those. For now, however I do not have time to order one before my trip. Will small plastic baggies work? I would be keeping one or two batteries loose in the small bags.

kingpker7

Newly Enlightened
so putting two of the batteries in a small plastic baggie which than goes into the headlamp stuff sack is a no no?

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
so putting two of the batteries in a small plastic baggie which than goes into the headlamp stuff sack is a no no?

If you must use a plastic bag, I would suggest you tape the batteries together with some scotch tape or a rubber band to keep them from banging around against each other.

If you have a sporting goods store nearby you can also check to see if they have the Surefire SC3 spare carrier.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are fine backpacking with 123s in a plastic bag. I have hiked hundreds of miles with dozens of CR123s in ziploc bags.

The thing you want to be careful about is not allowing metal objects to touch the batteries. Assume the bag will rip and pack accordingly, such that if there is a tear in the bag, the batteries will still not contact metal objects that may complete a circuit.

Post pics of your hike and the lights you bring!!

Niconical

Enlightened

If it's the size bag I think it is, just the right size for 2xCR123A, then that will be just fine.

I use them a lot, I bought 100 a while back, you can stash 'em everywhere, quite handy.
In my battery drawer I have a few pairs pre-bagged, ready to go.

What you don't want is 2 batts moving around in a bag that is far too big for just 2 batts.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, the baggy will work, just make sure nothing can contact them to "short them" ( ie + to -) or you could set you backpack on fire:poof: with the heat build up.

kingpker7

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys.

So if I store two batteries in these baggies (Which are a perfect size for two batteries. I doubt I could fit 3 inside), they wont short circuit with my headlamp which is also in the same stuff sack as the plastic bag? (basically, they wont short circuit THROUGH the plastic bag onto the metal surface of the saint minimus headlamp?)

And I wont have problems with the batteries rubbing up against each other in the bag?

Sorry for the noobish questions. Theres a reason I was not a electrical engineer. Lol.

kingpker7

Newly Enlightened
Here is a picture of my idea. Will this work? Any suggested problems?

Sorry I am a bit OCD when it comes to making sure everything works before a trip.

photo6k.jpg

The bag will go into my stuff sack w/my headlamp

rumack

Enlightened
Hmm, that baggie looks like it would hold more than two CR123A's. You don't want the batteries flopping around banging into each other. If I were you and I was still uncomfortable (and a little paranoia can be a healthy thing), I would do this:

1. put each battery in a separate baggie
  2. double bag each battery (provides more insulation and additional cushioning)
  3. put a rubber band around the bagged batteries to hold them together
  4. relax and enjoy yourself. :D
That may seem over the top, but the last thing you want is to be constantly worrying about what you're packing. Better to go a little overboard with preparation and be worry free.

For the future, another battery case to consider is the BATUCA case from InAnyCase.com. The thing I like about that case is it can be used to carry CR123A, AA, and/or AAA batteries.

Have a good time!

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have an old APS film canister around? Check the local photo store. These work wonders too.
Maybe into the ziplock baggie, then into the canister.

Magic Matt

Enlightened
You could just leave them in the packets if they're the non-rechargables. ;)

I keep a couple of CR123's in a cut down smarties tube that I covered with plastic tape. Works a treat. I sealed one end with PVA and stuff a bit of blue-tac in the other as a stopper. I am also a cheapskate. :D

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I generally put two in a orange plastic match case from the camping section at walmart. I put a bit of foam in the bottom to keep em from rattling.

The baggy should be fine though and much lighter.