Looking for variable power LED for photography

JeffSeely

Newly Enlightened
There is a company that sells a variable powered LED for photography. It is rechargeable with an expected long battery life per charge. It's ridiculously priced. I'm looking for something similar. Anybody seen something like it. At the brightest its shoots a 50w light.
Thanks.
Jeff

videoman

Enlightened
Variable powered ? do you mean dimming capability or powered from different input voltages? Also shoots 50 watt, really means consumes 50 watt of power from your battery or supply source. A more accurate description would be approximately 800 lumens ( 50 W equivalent filament bulb). If you are doing table top or close up work, that brightness may be adequate. But if you are planning to replace an electronic flash at working distances of over 10 feet, then perhaps something in the 2000 to 4000 lumen range may do.There are very few led units with on-board battery that deliver approx 1800 lumens out there but the color temperature is on the bluish side and can be corrected somewhat with supplied amber or warming filter(s). There are many variables in photography to consider, aperture, F stops, asa and so on. Just keep in mind that if you are planning to find an alternative to the flash, the constant and low output of the leds will limit you considerably to the fast shutter speeds that the flash units offer.I use leds for still life shots when there is no subject movement that allows slow shutter speeds.I really do not advise leds for photography work that involves shutter speeds in the 1/125 and faster range unless the subject is 3 feet or less from the led.As a fill light for available light, definitely. I would try before I buy, especially at the high prices of pro quality units.

Archie Cruz

Banned
I've learned a lot about "flashlights" and LED for photography in general.
Here are some tips and recommendations:
- You do not need nearly the same level of supplementary illumination for exposure with today's sensors as compared with older sensors or film. So do not blindly assume that brighter is better. In many case, you just get more throw.
- LED based fixtures specifically marketed to photographers/videographers are priced higher than simpler solutions.
- I use a Litepanels Micro Pro full time on my run n gun HD video kit and would not hesitate to use it for some stills as well.
- I also own a number of other dimmable ENG camera lights and they are fine, not as simple as the Litepanels product though.
- I have fallen in love with....
• LED Lenser X21 modified and am building a custom soft box for it now.(see my other posts on this MOD)
• Fenix TK40 is a an excellent multi-level light and I used it heavily for shooting project ALUMANIA.
• MAC did a MAG modification that is the smoothest and creamiest light in my photo arsenal.
• I use a number of Fenix's smaller lights for accent and light painting.
If I had money to burn, I'd buy a combined set of LED-Z Brute 6 and some of the larger Litepanels for location work.
In reality, I use my studio strobes...well, in the studio.