crazy unsafe power outlets in my home

raggie33

*the raggedier*
and you cant just replace them . there some weird outlets i guess from the old days the wires dont attach bye screws or even oush in with bare copper they was made just to push rolex wire in a gap and it cuts the insulation makeing contact . guess it was the normal when my home was made. and you cant just buy a normal outlet to replace it since the old outlets aint even in a gang box there just in wall lol. . so you must also install a gang box. .then a new outlet. ps you cant just pull the old ones out they have stupid tabs that you must get pushed back down while still in walll lol...i have. 2 replaced so far and it took me so long lol. but im very careful to go slow and stay in code.. i know my work will last till the outlet it self fails... dont ever risk safety when it comes to power.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
and you cant just replace them . there some weird outlets i guess from the old days the wires dont attach bye screws or even oush in with bare copper they was made just to push rolex wire in a gap and it cuts the insulation makeing contact . guess it was the normal when my home was made. and you cant just buy a normal outlet to replace it since the old outlets aint even in a gang box there just in wall lol. . so you must also install a gang box. .then a new outlet. ps you cant just pull the old ones out they have stupid tabs that you must get pushed back down while still in walll lol...i have. 2 replaced so far and it took me so long lol. but im very careful to go slow and stay in code.. i know my work will last till the outlet it self fails... dont ever risk safety when it comes to power.
This is the back see where you just push wires on gap where gap cuts insulation to make contact?

Attachments

• PXL_20240129_052851270.jpg
    PXL_20240129_052851270.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 66

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Raggie - I've no experience of these boxes but they don't look safe. My father used to work for the local electricity company so I learned 60 years ago that safety was paramount.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the back see where you just push wires on gap where gap cuts insulation to make contact?
just like this:

you're welcome

Jim

raggie33

*the raggedier*
doubt we have inspectors here loll..we don't even have a police dept lol.. just a sheriffs dept for the county. Think the entire county has only like 2000 people lol...yep thats it astro i replaced it with a common outlet. there is no way id trust them snap on ones for over 10 amps.....now im off to walmart form a few more outlets and covers..

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
doubt we have inspectors here loll..we don't even have a police dept lol.. just a sheriffs dept for the county. Think the entire county has only like 2000 people lol...yep thats it astro i replaced it with a common outlet. there is no way id trust them snap on ones for over 10 amps.....now im off to walmart form a few more outlets and covers..
what you don't know, can't hurt you...

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
the one in a picture missing contacts on one side, but there is nothing unsafe about it if installed correctly, right wire gauge, solid wire, you put stranded in there you asking for troubles,.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
...... not if you continue to end your sentences with a preposition. Surely, a Grammar Nazi will end you sooner or later. 😁 ..... :yellowlaugh:
ironically i dont fear death think how nice it would be to never have to watch a loved one die again to never be in pain or be sad. never be cold again. .never have to worry about money etc etc

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It looks like this is a type of IDC connector where the wire is punched down into the blade, which slices thru the insulation to mate with the conductor. Using the proper installation tool with the right gauge of solid wire and the proper technique should result in a good connection, but you really need the right tool for it. It wouldn't be my first choice for an outlet style, but I work with low voltage versions of IDC connectors all the time and they're surprisingly strong when they're installed properly.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
but there seems like there is no way it can have the same metal to metal contact area but im wrong a lot
lol btw what wall switches are the ones to go with now? im looking more about cosmetics with these since most mines max load is like 1 amp

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
but there seems like there is no way it can have the same metal to metal contact area but im wrong a lot
lol btw what wall switches are the ones to go with now? im looking more about cosmetics with these since most mines max load is like 1 amp
I would still stay with the regular 15 amp switches for durability and longevity as long as the wiring supports it.