Jetbeam III PRO ST R2 BVC incorrect operating instruction?

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Hi, after having problems in programming my PRO ST R2 BVC
icon8.gif
, I have made some very careful testing and monitoring and to make the light IBS work as it should do, I have to follow some slightly different (home made) instructions.
This is what I found, and it works 100% every time with my (# UK23101400026):thumbsup:

This is my revised instructions:

For clarity we will call the 3 modes : Mode A > Mode B > Mode C
Now you can navigate between the 3 modes in two different ways by either half or full press of the rear clicky!
1) In off mode >full press to get into <Mode A > half press < Mode B > half press <Mode C>full press Off (as per booklet instruction)
or
2) In off mode >full press to get into <Mode A > full press to switch off and if switch back on within 7 seconds you will enter the next mode (B in this case). Follow the same process to access <Mode C> (This is not mentioned in the booklet)

Now once in any of the 3 modes, you can access the variable brightness setting by a series of two half press, this will activate the ramping which will start at at 5% brightness and then go to 100% brightness. The light will blink twice at 50% brightness, and thrice at 100% brightness and then will start the sequence again. If you turn the light off (full press) and leave it off for more than 8 seconds, the light will be set to the desired brightness levels. (2 seconds mentioned in Jetbeam instruction, now 2 s will take me in the next programming mode)
Once you are in the ramping programming mode (see above) if you half press the tail switch you will access the strobe programming mode which will ramps from 1Hz to 15Hz flash, beacon, double blink to S.O.S then starting the sequence again, to program one of the setting in your flashlight, you need to turn the light off (full press) and leave it off for more than 8 seconds. (again 2s mentioned in JB booklet, this takes you again into the next programming mode)
From the ramping programming mode you also have the option of a factory mode reset, to "low, high and strobe". To do this, you will need to half press the tail switch (the light will appear off) leave it for a couple of seconds and then switch off by fully pressing the switch again and to leave it off for more than 8 seconds. (again 2s mentioned in JB booklet, this takes you again into the next programming mode) So Next time you switch it on, you will be back to the factory settings Mode A : low, Mode B: high, Mode C: flash.

Please note I have found the Jetbeam Instruction booklet in English not correct for mine (# UK23101400026), and the Jetbeam statement of waiting for 2 seconds before switch on for a specific setting or the reset to be memorized by the flashlight did not work. With my light I have to wait a minimum of 8 seconds otherwise the Jetbeam enter the next programming mode.
Also the Ramping time take a lot longer than the 8 seconds quoted: mine take 20s from low to medium and 18s from medium to high.

Now I have read in several thread that some users are having problems with the programming of the Jetbeam III PRO ST R2 BVC
and I would be very interested to hear from any one who as one and who could confirm that theirs works as per my instruction with my times. (I used a stop watch for my timing)
Would be usefull to know if they were made for the UK, US or Asian market, just in case various markets have different interface.
Hope you can send me some feed back on this!
Best to all
wink2.gif

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
I did not use a stopwatch to time the programming on my pro ST but your instructions are spot on.

There is a complete disconnect between the instruction manual and the actual operation of the light. Still love jetbeam lights though.

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsup:Hi, Thanks,
Yes I think this is a great looking and love it, but I did spend some very frustrating times trying to figure out the working of it! I went from is the light faulty? To what I am doing wrong!
thinking.gif

only to find out that I was mis-guided by the Jetbeam instructions!
duh2.gif
STR2BVC-3.jpg

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
I have a Jet-I Pro v3 that I love, so I picked up a Jet-III ST so I could use my 18650s in an EDC-sized light. I thought it was defective, so I had the retailer ship me another one. The new one behaved the same way, so I just returned both for a refund. Both of them operated exactly as you describe, which makes them essentially worthless to me, because I don't normally operate at the speed of a tired sloth. I would continually drop into programming mode by accident because I switched modes 3 times in less than 8 seconds (usually if I was trying for Mode 2 but clicked one too many times and tried to "go around"). The problem being that I had no idea which mode it was trying to program, so I'd take a guess that was usually wrong, at which point I'd have to reset it again. I timed the ramp from min to max at about 42 seconds with mine (IIRC), but I may have included the initial time before it lights up at all. If it takes more than about 8 seconds TOTAL to program a light, I get rid of it. Almost a minute to set EACH MODE is ridiculous.

I'm convinced that there is a bug in the timing circuit that somehow no one at Jetbeam has caught yet. Mostly, I refuse to believe that it's supposed to operate that way. :shakehead The form factor + use of 18650 would make it an awesome EDC light, if it worked the same as my Jet-I.

Of course, at this point, I'd rather have an 18650 tube for the RRT-0 anyway...

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Hi thanks for your feedback, I agree that Jetbeam could have made their programming sequence a little more user friendly, but once you know how it works and allow for this, it works fine. But, I can see your point; if you cycle very quickly through the 3 modes you will find your self in programming by accident.
The ramping as you mentioned is slow, just under 40 seconds on mine, but this give you plenty of time to get the right output and make it easier to set up to 25% or 75% brightness by just counting the seconds.

This is actually a plus for me. But my uses must be different to yours.
For the moment this is my favorite 18650 flashlight, great shape and small enough to fit happily in my coat pocket.

Thanks again for your input

Skyraider59
Zebra H60, H50; Nitecore D10, EZ-AA; Fenix L2D; Jetbeam CL2 V2; Jetbeam III ST PRO R2 BVC; Ultrafire C3Q5,A10; Tank007 EO7, E06, M20mag; Solarforce L2GS R2; Dereelight CL1H V3.0 Q5 3SD

sed6

Enlightened
Thanks for taking time to post your observations. They are spot on as well when it comes to operating my R2 BVC. My light so frequently and so accidentaly enters programming mode I just hate it. Completely useless to me.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Jet I way before I got my Jet III Pro ST (No BVC), so I was used to the UI. I think it is fine for general use when you aren't in dire need of light. If you panic or think you can't take your time you will have problems. :shrug:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
so, the whole long post could be replaced by a simple sentence like:
the programming time is off, one has to wait 8 sec minimum instead of the 2 mentionned in the manual
:rolleyes:

... as I dont really get the critics here: why should they mention an additional "operating instruction" when someone chooses to to full clicks? If one gives power, and disconnects for next level, there is no electrical difference if doing full or half clicks.

PS:
* How often do You (re-)program the light to be this annoyed? :rolleyes:
* I would greatly appreciate, if my JB's would offer such a slow ramping up time. With the quick one mine have, its a bit difficult to stop at the desired level because it switches fast (checked with current at battery)

PPS: remove that reverse clicky

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
Hi, after having problems in programming my PRO ST R2 BVC
icon8.gif
, I have made some very careful testing and monitoring and to make the light IBS work as it should do, I have to follow some slightly different (home made) instructions.
This is what I found, and it works 100% every time with my (# UK23101400026):thumbsup:

This is my revised instructions:

For clarity we will call the 3 modes : Mode A > Mode B > Mode C
Now you can navigate between the 3 modes in two different ways by either half or full press of the rear clicky!
1) In off mode >full press to get into <Mode A > half press < Mode B > half press <Mode C>full press Off (as per booklet instruction)
or
2) In off mode >full press to get into <Mode A > full press to switch off and if switch back on within 7 seconds you will enter the next mode (B in this case). Follow the same process to access <Mode C> (This is not mentioned in the booklet)

Now once in any of the 3 modes, you can access the variable brightness setting by a series of 3 rapid half press, this will activate the ramping which will start at at 5% brightness and then go to 100% brightness. The light will blink twice at 50% brightness, and thrice at 100% brightness and then will start the sequence again. If you turn the light off (full press) and leave it off for more than 8 seconds, the light will be set to the desired brightness levels. (2 seconds mentioned in Jetbeam instruction, now 2 s will take me in the next programming mode)
Once you are in the ramping programming mode (see above) if you half press the tail switch you will access the strobe programming mode which will ramps from 1Hz to 15Hz flash, beacon, double blink to S.O.S then starting the sequence again, to program one of the setting in your flashlight, you need to turn the light off (full press) and leave it off for more than 8 seconds. (again 2s mentioned in JB booklet, this takes you again into the next programming mode)
From the ramping programming mode you also have the option of a factory mode reset, to "low, high and strobe". To do this, you will need to half press the tail switch (the light will appear off) and you need to switch is off by fully pressing the switch again and to leave it off for more than 8 seconds. (again 2s mentioned in JB booklet, this takes you again into the next programming mode) So Next time you switch it on, you will be back to the factory settings Mode A : low, Mode B: high, Mode C: flash.

Please note I have found the Jetbeam Instruction booklet in English not correct for mine (# UK23101400026), and the Jetbeam statement of waiting for 2 seconds before switch on for a specific setting or the reset to be memorized by the flashlight did not work. With my light I have to wait a minimum of 8 seconds otherwise the Jetbeam enter the next programming mode.
Also the Ramping time take a lot longer than the 8 seconds quoted: mine take 20s from low to medium and 18s from medium to high.

Now I have read in several thread that some users are having problems with the programming of the Jetbeam III PRO ST R2 BVC
and I would be very interested to hear from any one who as one and who could confirm that theirs works as per my instruction with my times. (I used a stop watch for my timing)
Would be usefull to know if they were made for the UK, US or Asian market, just in case various markets have different interface.
Hope you can send me some feed back on this!
Best to all
wink2.gif

This should save me some grief as I have a Jet III Pro ST with R2 being shipped from BugOut. Thanks for the post, I will let you know how it works for me.lovecpf

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
I had a Jet I way before I got my Jet III Pro ST (No BVC), so I was used to the UI. I think it is fine for general use when you aren't in dire need of light. If you panic or think you can't take your time you will have problems. :shrug:

Well, when you're in dire need of light you probably shouldn't be trying to change mode settings. Of course, if you're a low-med-high kind of guy, then you'd better hope you don't miss high, because "going around" for it in dire circumstances only means you are going to be dumped into programming mode for setting A. Or possibly setting B. At which point the best option is to throw the light into the woods and pull out your backup.

Even more annoying for me was that even when I was using the light normally (aka not in an emergency), I still didn't want to spend more than about 10 seconds setting a mode. When I'm using a light, I'm usually trying to accomplish some other task that will only take longer if I have to sit and watch my light ramp. Also, it's tough to impress people with your fancy (expensive) light when your demo goes something like "...and you can just triple-press to set brightness, and ... ok, see, it's starting to ramp ... ... ... when it gets to 50% it'll flash twice ... ... ... ... there, it's at 50%, now we wait for max ..." Meanwhile, whoever was watching the demo got bored and wandered off somewhere after the third "...". Probably muttering something about crazy people who spend too much on flashlights. :ironic:

* How often do You (re-)program the light to be this annoyed?

That's the most annoying part: most of my lights, I program once (maybe twice to get things exactly right for me), and then leave them. This one, I unintentionally re-programmed EVERY time I used it (see first paragraph). Then, I had to spend MORE time putting the modes back to their original settings. :sick2:

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys

I think I have found another more reliable way of accessing the programable modes. Some of you have reported that sometime the light instead of programing the mode you are in, the light program the next mode.
I must admit I have noticed that this has happen to me some time (not always) and I put it down (for me) to may be doing a series of 4 quick half press instead of 3 (not knowingly) therefore jumping to the next mode before the programmable mode kicked in, so you would end up reprogramming in fact the next mode.
Like many of you when this happens, I find this is very frustrating.

Now would we have been misguided again by the instruction book,
thinking.gif
stating a
"lightly press onto the tail cap three times or more continuously within a second"
from my review and revised instructions
"you can access the variable brightness setting by a series of 3 rapid half press"
well this does work for me but I do get sometime the reprogramming of the next mode instead of the one I am into.

So I went back to the drawing board again:confused:, and did more testing.
Now all owners of ST PRO R2 BVC, I would be grateful if you could try another way of entering the programmable modes.

At first reset light to manufacturer setting so you know were you are high/low/double flash

Now, this time in which ever mode you want to be in and reprogram A, B or C

DO A HALF CLICK/PRESS FOLLOW EMEDIATTELY BY A SECOND HALF CLICK/PRESS, DO NOT RUSH AT ALL BUT DO NOT LEAVE A GAP,
NOW AFTER A FEW SECONDS MY LIGHT START RAMPING, (I BELIEVE YOURS WILL)

1) YOU CAN SET THE RAMPING MODE BY A FULL CLICK, AND LEAVING IT OFF FOR A MINIMUM OF 8 SECONDS.

2) OR YOU CAN ENTER THE RAMPING FLASHING MODE BY ANOTHER HALF CLICK/PRESS. TO SET IT, AGAIN A FULL CLICK, AND LEAVE IT OFF FOR A MINIMUM OF 8 SECONDS.

3) OR TO REPROGRAM THE LIGHT TO MANUFACTURER SETTINGS DO ANOTHER HALF CLICK/PRESS, FOLLOWED BY A GAP OF A COUPLE OF SECONDS THEN SWITCHING THE LIGHT FULLY OFF BY A FULL CLICK.PRESS AND LEAVING IT OFF FOR 8 SECONDS OR MORE.

Now I have tried this over and over in any of the mode A, B, C, and I managed to program the mode I was in every time without fault.
Again i would like your feed back, so in short you need to half click two enter the program modes (FORGET ABOUTH THE 3 HALF CLICKS WITHIN A SECOND)

et us know, this is a good looking and versatile light and it would be great if we could have it working well for everyone!

Regards
Skyraider59

mxrider32

Newly Enlightened
I have a Jet III Pro ST BVC that I bought recently and I have noticed that it is easier to use full clicks instead of half clicks when reprogramming.

To program Mode A just do six full clicks while in Mode A and you will enter reprogramming for Mode A. Haven't had any trouble with this method.

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
I have a Jet III Pro ST BVC that I bought recently and I have noticed that it is easier to use full clicks instead of half clicks when reprogramming.

To program Mode A just do six full clicks while in Mode A and you will enter reprogramming for Mode A. Haven't had any trouble with this method.

Thanks for this, so they may be more than one way to enter the programmable modes, does this work with mode B and C as well?
Will try it this evening.

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Of course, at this point, I'd rather have an 18650 tube for the RRT-0 anyway...

Grunscga,

Have you tried this on your RRT-0, It stats the operating voltages are 0.8-4.2V. I have the RRT-0 and on order a Jet III Pro ST R2 BVC and would be curious to know you results of running it on a 18650.

thanks

Brian

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
The only way I've run with an 18650 was for about 4 seconds with a wire as the negative contact to see if the 18650 could actually make contact with the + post inside the head. I no longer have easy access to a machine shop, so I have no way of creating a custom body.

There was a user on here that was thinking about building an 18650 body as a proof-of-concept, but I haven't seen him post in a while. The original post was: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/259095

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
The only way I've run with an 18650 was for about 4 seconds with a wire as the negative contact to see if the 18650 could actually make contact with the + post inside the head. I no longer have easy access to a machine shop, so I have no way of creating a custom body.

There was a user on here that was thinking about building an 18650 body as a proof-of-concept, but I haven't seen him post in a while. The original post was: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/259095

Ahhh, Ok, somehow I read in my mind that the tube from the Jet III would fit the head of the RRt-0... Would be sweet if that were the case..

Thanks

Brian

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
The IBS is my favourite UI.
My ProIIISt is always beside the bed, instant access to selected modes.

*If anyone is really finding theirs useless, PM me with selling price.

boloson

Newly Enlightened
i have the M version & found it discouraging in the beginning but after playing with the light more & watching youtube vids of how to enter those modes it became more apparent. i love this light

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Skyraider59,

Just received a JetIII PRO ST BVC R2 and find your directions spot on, nice reviews you did too... influenced my purchase.

After using the light for a few evenings by the camp fire, I find it easy to program and once you slow down a little getting stuck in program mode isn't an issue. So far the length of the ramp would be my only complaint.

Running mine on a laptop 18650 and love it :twothumbs

Cheers

Brian