Mini Mag LED good enough for my grandmother?

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi guys,
i was thinking about my grandmother and i found out that a "good" light would really help her gettin' aroud the house and garden at late evenings. She's a seventy year old lady, very hardworking, but still very fit for her age. They have a small farm and even she can't do many things now, she still tries to help even if tasks are often to hard for her. Well, i was thinking about the old one-mode MiniMag 2AA. It should be decently bright, beam isn't so bad as that from the incandescent versions, has a decent runtime (more than 3 hours) and compared with her plastic and incredibly dim incan flashlight looks built like a tank. I know that there's a new version out, but i can't imagine her twisting the tailcap and changing different modes. It would make her uncomfortable. Even her hands aren't fast, smart and agile like they were 20 years ago, but i really think that she'd be able to twist the head to right focus. What do you guys think?

Burgess

Flashaholic
That would be a FINE choice !

I gave one of those to my father, and he now EDC's it. :thumbsup:

Gave my (late) mother a Mini-Maglite, with a Nite-Ize 1watt Luxeon LED,
and she loved it !

Both found these flashlights VERY handy and useful !

Sometimes, single-mode is best for avoiding any confusion.

:whistle:

PS: Best of Luck (and health) to your dear Grandmother.
_

KarstGhost

Enlightened
I think that would be a great gift! I gave my Grandmother one of the small Task-Force LED lights from Lowe's and she loves it. She was very appreciative and I think she actually uses it often, for going out to her car at night and such. She is afraid if she uses it too much that it will burn out, and I try to tell her "Grandma, it's an LED..."

I've been thinking of upgrading her to a Fenix E20 as it is a single mode light as well.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i gave my mom, who is 60 years old, and has very bad vision a quark AA mini. she keeps it in her purse. i went with a twisty and something simple, and she has no problems changing the brightness levels. one time i even caught her playing around with it at night, we chuckled about it:twothumbs

mini mag would be very good choice too, but she wanted something same and light.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you already have one, I would go for the new multi-mode light with the more efficient Luxeon Rebel.

Also, be sure to have her make sure the batteries are in the right direction. These lights, along with many others, don't have reverse polarity protection.

spellitout

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also think a clicky would be better and I think she might like something with a neutral or warm tint. My vote would be for one of the warm white romisens from shiningbeam. Maybe those are too bright and not enough runtime though.

Still, I think some kind of clicky light would be better. Maybe get one of the clicky tailcaps they make for maglites? That is, if you are really set on a mag.

spellitout

Newly Enlightened
I got sucked into dealextreme and couldn't resist browsing the lights.

This light looks like it would fit the bill pretty well.

It is single mode with a raised glow in the dark clickie (doesn't glow in the dark very long, but is lime green), can operate on 1 or 2 AA batteries and comes with a bright green strap so it should be easy to locate.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18627

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard very good things about tank as far as budget brands go so I don't think it is a bad choice a tall. My only concern would be that it might very well not get alot of runtime which she might find annoying.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't find much info on it now, but maybe a duracell daylite?
It should have a nice floody beam, about the right amount of lumens and runtime and I think its a clicky...

gilly

Enlightened
Last year I gave my 70 year old Dad a Fenix L2T V2.0 and he really enjoys it. If you wanted to keep it simple, go with a Fenix E20.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the fenix E20 and highly recommend except that again runtime may be an issue. Unless your grandma is going to use lithiums or rechargeables, the E20 will only give you 60-75 minutes which can go quite fast.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Mother a SAIK SA-8 3xAAA ...

Easy to use .. And still on its first set of AAA,s and its about 10 months now .
It's by her bed .. For her purse I got some single mode AAA lights ...