Ra Twisty 85TR; high output, who needs it?

jblackwood

Enlightened
I can't believe this light is really only putting out 85 lumens on high! The beam is really perfect. I now know what others have said about Ra lights, this is my second and I wonder why I need any others, except my Lunasol 20s, which you can feel free to try and pry from my cold dead hands . . . :twothumbs

Nice low on red. It's primarily why I got this light. That and I wanted a twisty before they're extinct. From what I've read, Henry has stated in writing that there will be no new Twisties. Then someone else posts saying that said differently in conversation. Am I summing this up correctly? Either way, what a great light. I love my new twisty.

Last edited:

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Re: Ra Twisty 85TR, high output? Who needs it?

New Twisty's or not, I doubt we'll see another combination light with red output. That's why I bought a second 85-Tr.

Whatever your Night Ops might be, the Tr is the perfect light to hang on your gear.

jblackwood

Enlightened

New Twisty's or not, I doubt we'll see another combination light with red output. That's why I bought a second 85-Tr.

Whatever your Night Ops might be, the Tr is the perfect light to hang on your gear.

I just saw a SHOT show update. A New Twisty is coming out, but you're right, who knows if we'll see another with the low red? Also, I love the simple UI. If Henry is going to incorporate "some, probably not all of the Clicky's modes," I hope he puts it out of the way so that the operation of the new Twisty isn't changed. I have a 4sevens Quark Mini, those strobe, SOS, and beacon modes aren't as out of the way as I'd like, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened

Yes the 85TR suffers from "sub-100 lumen syndrome" and doesn't get the respect it deserves. Mine has an INCREDIBLY bright tight hotspot and a very very clean beam. This very small hot spot out-throws both my Twisty 100 and my EDC 120.

There is a part of me that thinks I should call up the last remaining vendor and buy several more.

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where are there more?

I am trying to get my first one....

bansuri

Enlightened

Battery station had some last time I looked. I'm on my mobile so I don't have a link to GreenLED's extensive CPF Discount page but maybe someone else would be kind enough to post it.

Haldor

Newly Enlightened

Here is the CPF discount page where I got mine. Don't forget to put your CPF name in the proper place, otherwise the order will be cancelled without notice. A great deal for a wonderful light.

Thanks for the link. I just ordered one of the RA twisty 85's. I have been lurking here for a while, but this motivated me to get registered.

CLBME

Enlightened

Hi Jblackwood- I agree 100%. The beam of the 85Tr is awesome as you pointed out. Mine throws better than my 120 EDC as Yucca Patrol pointed out, but still has a very useful beam in the mid range for closer light. The red low is great and I find myself using it a lot- I'll use it tonight plowing. The 85 (lumens) in the model name doesn't do the light justice.

I can't believe this light is really only putting out 85 lumens on high! The beam is really perfect. I now know what others have said about Ra lights, this is my second and I wonder why I need any others, except my Lunasol 20s, which you can feel free to try and pry from my cold dead hands . . . :twothumbs

Nice low on red. It's primarily why I got this light. That and I wanted a twisty before they're extinct. From what I've read, Henry has stated in writing that there will be no new Twisties. Then someone else posts saying that said differently in conversation. Am I summing this up correctly? Either way, what a great light. I love my new twisty.

bigfoot

Enlightened

No need for a pocket searchlight here; just something small, simple, and dependable. Also snagged an 85-Tr from Battery Station recently and the Twisty immediately become part of my EDC. Love that secondary red LED!

4347392464_3717772b66.jpg

4360039504_2329af9876.jpg

whoisvince

Newly Enlightened

I've been pondering this one for a while. I finally pulled the trigger today! I can't wait. I'm going to have to let my ramping EX10 go to offset the cost, though...

jblackwood

Enlightened

So this model can't be programmed at all, right? The manual doesn't mention anything about it, but there were a couple of threads about the 100 level Twisty having user definable settings (but no red diode).

This really is quite the find. Yes, there has been an increase in the number of threads about RA lights, it's about time Henry gets his due. These lights don't use the most bleeding edge emitters, but good design is good design. His lights don't squeeze the highest possible lumen amount from the emitter. There are plenty of nice, cheap lights that are made in China that fit all these descriptors I've chosen. I don't think I'll be spending this kind of money for any of those "usual suspects." Quality, ease-of-use, uniqueness (low red beam/clicky switch like no other), these are things that will keep me coming back for more. I really think I'm going to be getting rid of some single CR123 lights in order to get the highest lumen output Henry has out now and to get some funds for his later incarnation (looking forward to a nice, bezel-down clip).

I've gotten a high CRI.
I've gotten a nice twisty (with a unique low in red).
Next will have to be the highest output Clicky. I hope the tint is as nice as my 85Tr, I'm picky that way but I think I'd rather spend the bucks on the lumens, at least this time around.

I can't believe I waited this long! :eek::cool::naughty:

Norm

Retired Administrator

Remember when the dream pocket blaster was a HDS U85? unbelievably powerful and small EDC.
Norm

Lost Hawaiian

Newly Enlightened
I've gotta say, y'all are becoming just plain irritating. :grin2:

Here I've been, more than happy for years with my 120P, thinking I'd maybe pick up an Ra (if) when they update their lineup. Then I see this thread with all your helpful links and before I know what's going on, I have another light heading to my house.

Now I have to go order another self-help book from Amazon to do a "bait and switch" when my wife asks me what was in the package on the porch. :rolleyes:

Thanks a bunch!

Rich

coldshot

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a second 85-Tr to keep my other HDS/Ra lights company....

85-Tr
120 Exec
170 Tactical
Basic 42 XR GT
Ultimate 42
Basic 60
Ultimate 60
Ulimate 85

I'm looking for a Ultimate 60 XR GT to complete the collection.

Cold