Nice Quality Camping Lantern?

A96Honda

Newly Enlightened
I dont do backpack camping. I do car/truck camping....:faint:

Anyways, I think it's time to retire our old camping lantern. It's this coleman.
5317-700_500.jpg

It has served us well. Bright enough. Coverage isnt great, but it works good enough. Nice and compact when not in use.

But downside is, it's heavy loaded up with 8 D batteries.

By now, there has to be something much more efficient and better output?

We like to set it out on the camping table for cooking or cleaning. And like to take it inside the tent to play cards or game. Hoping to cover an area about 10x10.

Budget is $50.

Go!

McAllan

Enlightened
I you want a fluorescent lantern here's my suggestion.

A few years ago I bought an Osram Camping Lantern.

Uses 4 D size cells. Nice bright light close to neutral. Not very cool or very warm.
Maybe you have luck finding it somewhere. I believe it's not out of production yet. And it uses a pretty common fluorescent tube should it break, become worn or you want another color temperature and/or better RCI (it's not bad, better than all those common cool LEDs).

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would say to keep that lantern and wait, there will be better LED lanterns come out than the current ones and prices will drop as people get used to them and the advantages. I expect a 4 cree 800+lumen lantern using 4D cells built very sturdy with decent flood that isn't irritating perhaps even waterproof to be made soon, but for 10x10 now most LED lanterns probably won't cut it.

mikayaslee

Newly Enlightened
I just order the BritEye off of Amazon. Personally, I prefer my light to be portable. The less amount of stuff I bring outdoors the better. This one is perfect because it's both a flashlight and a lantern. Easily portable and works as a external battery.

*link removed by Greta

Last edited by a moderator:

tritan

Newly Enlightened
streamlight lantern is great, I have the rayovac also and prefer the rayovac.

desmobob

Enlightened
If I'm car camping, I feel it is absolutely the right thing to do to use a Coleman liquid fuel lantern. :)

I have about 30 of them, from 1926 to 2014.

The only LED lantern I have is a Black Diamond Orbit. It's tiny, but I like it. If I wanted a larger one, I'd definitely be looking at the Siege by Streamlight.

Take it easy,
Bob

Swamplite

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Streamlight Siege.I don't camp as much as I used to but it sure comes in handy for power outages or a back yard BBQ.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah. And even for being a 3 D lantern it's pretty compact. You can make it a warmer tint too with a little "hack". Check out my review linked above if you want.

That liquid fuel lantern collection is awesome. Is there a not too expensive liquid fuel lantern one can buy that you'd recommend?

Last edited:

desmobob

Enlightened
That liquid fuel lantern collection is awesome. Is there a not to expensive liquid fuel lantern one can buy that you'd recommend?

Thanks! I enjoy messing around with them.

The Coleman 285 Dual Fuel lantern is a nice, inexpensive and fairly compact liquid fuel lantern that can run on unleaded gasoline as well as Coleman fuel. Like several of the more modern Coleman liquid fuel lanterns, it has adjustable output (the older models weren't dimmable). If you happen to have a Coleman Factory Outlet near you, you can often get them at a considerable discount.

For more money, the Coleman Northstar liquid fuel lantern offers very convenient electronic ignition and a protective cage around the globe. One note about Coleman lanterns these days: the Coleman mantles are of inferior quality; they aren't nearly as durable (or bright) as they used to be. A company called Peerless makes the mantles I prefer to use. You can find them online on the big auction site.

I love my LED lights, but there's something special about pressurizing and lighting up a liquid fuel lantern, and hearing that distinctive sound of it running. :)

Take it easy,
Bob

raggie33

*the raggedier*
If I'm car camping, I feel it is absolutely the right thing to do to use a Coleman liquid fuel lantern. :)

I have about 30 of them, from 1926 to 2014.

The only LED lantern I have is a Black Diamond Orbit. It's tiny, but I like it. If I wanted a larger one, I'd definitely be looking at the Siege by Streamlight.

Take it easy,
Bob
Very cool picture