any good RCR2 batteries?

vio765

Newly Enlightened
Just got my Quark Mini123 and love it. Then i saw the Quark CR2! is there a good Li-Ion RCR2 battery (protected). I have looked around briefly and found a battery called "Juice". any good? other options available?

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Just got my Quark Mini123 and love it. Then i saw the Quark CR2! is there a good Li-Ion RCR2 battery (protected). I have looked around briefly and found a battery called "Juice". any good? other options available?

Oh yeah. Juice makes good batteries. I have two CR2 juice batteries. Regular CR2 batteries are 3 volts, the juice ones are 3.6 I believe.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know right, I was waiting for something like that. :ohgeez:
I should have added a ;), because I meant it in jest as much as cautionary. I've never taken a belt sander to a Li-ion, but I've certainly had my share of "Oops! That was interesting." moments. Cheers for being a good sport.

Back on topic...

Requests for protected RCR2's are becoming pretty common - especially with the recent releases of the MiNi CR2 and EZ CR2 before that. I'm not aware of any currently available, and this is the first I've seen mention of the Juice cells. Member/dealer AW used to offer protected RCR2's, but they haven't been available for a while. I think he still offers 300mAh unprotected cells, and last time I checked, Lighthound still carried them as well. There's also Ultrafire-branded 3.0V RCR2's at DX, but I have no experience with them, and I'd be surprised if you get half the claimed capacity (800mAh) from them.

vio765

Newly Enlightened
I would love to get the Mini CR2, but the price is just too high:

Light: $100
Juice "kit" + 2 batteries: $45
Supply of CR2 Primaries: $50 budget.
TOTAL ~$200

An Al version of the CR2 light would help, even then the total would be ~$150.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what its worth, I got 4 juice cells and a charger when I ordered a blu-ray laser pointer a while back.

I've been using one set in the pointer, and the other 2 have been rotated in my Peak...crap I don't know which model it is but it has a Seoul P4 in it and is tiny. I had them build me the ultra power version and the juice batteries run very nicely in this setup.

I prefer protected batteries, and as said, the aw's are impossible to find. I've found these perfectly easy to use.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
For what its worth, I got 4 juice cells and a charger when I ordered a blu-ray laser pointer a while back.

I've been using one set in the pointer, and the other 2 have been rotated in my Peak...crap I don't know which model it is but it has a Seoul P4 in it and is tiny. I had them build me the ultra power version and the juice batteries run very nicely in this setup.

I prefer protected batteries, and as said, the aw's are impossible to find. I've found these perfectly easy to use.

Was that blu ray laser you bought custom made from Ohrenberg?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
what would be the mAh rating on the Juice RCR2 batteries?
I purchased 4 of the Juice branded RCR2 cells from the US importer last year. They all showed nearly identical capacities when charged and discharged on a Triton.

The discharge numbers I got were:

311 mAh at 100mA discharge rate
247 mAh at 200mA discharge rate
239 mAh at 300mA discharge rate
235 mAh at 400mA discharge rate
227 mAh at 500mA discharge rate

vio765

Newly Enlightened
i love that graphic! my friends say that I remind them of Brian from Family Guy. and he has a flashlight!!! awsome.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not checked recently on the Juice brand, but in the past I chased the R CR2 aspect pretty hard, as I was working on a CR2 based light for a while. (The Breeze light in my sig line)

The AW protected R CR2 cells were the only ones that were fully protected.

The Juice cells - at least at that time, had very limited protection. I cannot remember the details, but I decided that they had too much liability for my taste.

That being said, the good news is that the Li content of a R CR2 cells is relatively low compared to a R 123 type, so I suppose in theory, the extent of damage from an "event" is probably lower.

An "indication" of this (not proof) is that there have been a few CR2 lights that discharged the cells at 5C, and the failure mode was consistently "not holding a charge", vs "event".

If I were going to use a "not fully protected Li Ion CR2 cell, I would use them not more than 5 cycles and toss them. They aren't that expensive relative to primary CR2s.

mfm

Enlightened
If I were going to use a "not fully protected Li Ion CR2 cell, I would use them not more than 5 cycles and toss them. They aren't that expensive relative to primary CR2s.

The scientific approach would be to

1) Make sure your charger isn't overcharging the cells (anyone without a DMM shouldn't touch RCR2s). This excludes also all chargers with a rate more than 300 mA and also CC-only chargers.

2) Make sure your flashlight isn't overdischarging your cells (with the DMM).

If you do this with unprotected cells then you are better off than using a protected cell and just guessing.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were going to use a "not fully protected Li Ion CR2 cell, I would use them not more than 5 cycles and toss them.

That's interesting.
Given your experience with RCR2 cells and knowing what you know, what do you think people new to the pros and cons of RCR2 rechargeable cells should be aware of?

SFfanman

Enlightened
Great thread! Does anyone know or have experience running "juice" or other brand RCR2 batteries in a SF Titan (the original)? Is it even possible or the volts too high?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - given the importance of the topic, I will go back and try to dig out some notes I have on the topic, as well as some historic postings about CR2 cells on CPF from the past.

This is going to take a few days.

I don't claim to be a battery expert by any means, so you should not take my comments as being such, just an end user that did some reading and thinking about the subject at one time.