Losing turbo mode on my EagleTac M2XC4

Bronco

Enlightened
I've got the warm version of the M2XC4 and really love it. It's my favorite camping light by a large margin. Unfortunately, I've gradually lost the ability to access the turbo and strobe modes using the selector ring. Low, medium and high all function normally. It continues to shine in high mode as the selector ring reaches the "turbo" index on the bezel. If you continue to twist beyond that point, however, then the light simply shuts off and both turbo and strobe modes are lost.

When I first noticed the problem, cycling the selector ring back and forth a couple of times would usually rectify the problem. Other times, I would use the light in high mode with the selector ring set at the "turbo" index point and then the turbo mode would just kick in on its own after a minute or two. Now, however, it's next to impossible to get the turbo or strobe modes to function at all.

I considered the extremely remote possibility that perhaps my 2+ year old 2200 mAh protected AW cells might be losing their ability to provide the current necessary to power the turbo mode. Sadly, a new set of AW 2600 mAh cells suggests the problem lies elsewhere as the situation is unimproved.

I know EagleTac has had issues at times with their QC <insert understatement alert here> but I haven't seen this particular problem pop up in any searches. Any advice or suggested fixes would be appreciated.

This light is supposedly one of the newer improved models that came out last year. I've never installed the clicky tail switch so I don't know if this might offer an alternate way to get the turbo mode back.

Last edited:

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
Best bet would be to contact your dealer or Eagletac, they are a good company and most probably would replace it for you.

Kato

Enlightened
I had two of the three LEDs on my M2XC4 go out a few weeks ago.

I left two messages on the Contact Us page of EagleTac.com over the past two weeks but received no reply.

I left a message on the Contact Us page of EagleTac-USA.com early this week and also received no reply.

I've purchased quite a few of their lights and have given several as gifts, but if this is representative of their customer service, they've lost me as a customer.

vudoo

Enlightened
Anything to do with the contacts wearing out on the selector ring when entering turbo mode? Excessive lube over the contacts?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of switch is it? Is it a magnetic selector actuating a reed switch? Have you dropped the light?

If it's easy to install the clicky do that just to see if that works which would point to the selector ring or reed switch being the problem at least rather than the electronics

gooseman

Newly Enlightened
I have a similar problem with my M2C4. I mentioned this on CPF a long time ago, and a customer service person from EagleTac sent me a PM - but I was new to CPF and didn't notice the PM until way later.

Anyhow, the issue I have is that ramping up from low -> med -> high -> turbo -> strobe always worked, but when the batteries became even slightly depleted, going the other way (from strobe to low) malfunctioned. basically, I would get Strobe -> Turbo -> Something -> off, where Something was lower than the official "low" mode.

I was told that the magnetic sensors in the light needed to be re-calibrated; at the time that would require the light to be sent to EagleTac.

Your best bet it to try and call Eagletac to arrange for service. If that does not work, you can try calling Eagletac-USA for their take on what to do.

Bronco

Enlightened
Anything to do with the contacts wearing out on the selector ring when entering turbo mode? Excessive lube over the contacts?

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I would seriously doubt (but obviously can't say with 100% certainty) that the problems I'm experiencing could be related in any way to something having worn out. It hasn't been used nearly enough to warrant suspecting overuse as a failure mode. The light has accompanied me on a couple of car camping outings, and has otherwise been subjected to nothing more strenuous than nightstand duty. I've noticed no lubrication anywhere on the light other than an appropriate amount on the threads between the head and main body.

Bronco

Enlightened
Have you dropped the light?

If it's easy to install the clicky do that just to see if that works which would point to the selector ring or reed switch being the problem at least rather than the electronics

No drops, dings, bumps or bangs, Bryan. I'm the only owner of the light and it's in pristine condition.

If no other troubleshooting tips pop up, I probably will install the clicky switch just to see what happens.

Art

Enlightened
I had two of the three LEDs on my M2XC4 go out a few weeks ago.

I left two messages on the Contact Us page of EagleTac.com over the past two weeks but received no reply.

I left a message on the Contact Us page of EagleTac-USA.com early this week and also received no reply.

I've purchased quite a few of their lights and have given several as gifts, but if this is representative of their customer service, they've lost me as a customer.

Sadly this is my image of eagletac its self.

Thankfully some of their dealers work great :thumbsup:

Kato

Enlightened
Good news!

I spoke with Mike from PTS/EagleTac-USA today. He provided me with an RMA number and I will be sending in my light later this week. :party:

vudoo

Enlightened
Let us know how you go, whether they fix it and tell you what it was or they simply replace it.

I have been on the fence a long time about this light but so far love it. One of the main gripes when it was first released was it was far too easy to hit strobe mode. EagleTac have listened and acted...mine now has three levels where I can choose to have strobe or not! :D

Disintergrator66

Newly Enlightened
Sadly this is my image of eagletac its self.

Thankfully some of their dealers work great :thumbsup:

Hearing all this bad PR for Eagletac is a bummer. A M2XC4 was to be my next light. Not so anymore..... Customer Service is key in any business.

Art

Enlightened
Hearing all this bad PR for Eagletac is a bummer. A M2XC4 was to be my next light. Not so anymore..... Customer Service is key in any business.

Still they make some of the best lights around.

The M2s and the T100C2 are awesome.

BTW, anyone had problems with their 18650s? I have 5 and 1 is dead and other is weak ...

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, anyone had problems with their 18650s? I have 5 and 1 is dead and other is weak ...

About the dead battery, the protection circuit is probably triggered, you may fix it by shorting the battery with a 9V or 2x 18650 in series to reset it.

And the weak battery, sounds like a damaged cell...

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i cant stop thinking about the M2XC4 NW. i keep telling myself i dont need it. but i sure do want it. i change my mind on this a few times a day. the quality and customer service is really holding me back. although Tod from IG has been great.

and i was going to get some eagletac 18650, but.... maybe ill just go with DX 18650, if they stop working or something i can just toss them without regret.

keep us posted about the situation of your lights, hope they can resolve this issue.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bronco, did you try removing the selector ring to see if there's anything obvious? It pulls right off and goes back on just as easily.