Rezap Recharger For Alkalines??

McAllan

Enlightened
I've had a Saitek Eco Charger for ages - which also recharges alkalines.

It works but:
You should recharge often to get the most use from your cells.
You should understand that those recharged cells are more prone to leaking.
Funny especially Duracell and Energizers and other "top brands" tend to leak quite fast while GP and many store brands (which often seems to be rebranded GP) works better.

F.ex. you have a computer mouse. Recharge the cells when they have 25% left in them and get another 70% "free". Do it once or twice and then recycle the cells. Choose some cells that are not that prone to leaking and you can lengthen the life of them.

So "great" if you understand the issues. But they're IMHO superseded by LSD NiMH.

MarioJP

Enlightened
not to mention its too late in the game. I remember when I was younger they came out with reusable alkalines that were named "Renewal rechargeable batteries". I remember falling into the marketing and actually went out and bought them. For the most part they were good in the beginning but soon after these cells did not last long. and can only be recharged 25 times.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
at least with renewals they were sealed well, even though they wouldnt work very many times, and only could be topped off, not allowed to be fully discharged. At least they didnt leak.

a New charger like this comes out every year or so, and just like 3 card montey some person thinks they can win :) 3 battery montey .
and because multichemistry chargers dont do all 3 things well, it probably isnt even a good ni-?? charger either.

green :nana: , yes if they werent filling the dump with these chargers after people find that thier cells leak many times faster than before.
oh this one is Different :) ya like the other one before it, and the one before that, all of which would solve the leakage issue, but didnt.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a disposable alkaline recharger back in the 90's, it worked great and extended the life of the batteries a whole lot. Nowadays alkalines are so cheap and plentiful it's not really worth messing with.

MarioJP

Enlightened
Back then companies like Energizers,Duracell really had the consumers by their necks. Ni-cad rechargeables in that era were a joke. You spend more time charging less time using, which results of being frugal with primary cells. I I remember the day when I had walkmans tape players and, CD players (this was the time when CD players were new in the market) boy did those bulky cd players suck a lot of juice from AA's and also your wallet too!.

I wish that rechargeables that we have now could of come out at that time and save the day well its too late for that now. Nowadays seems to me that lithium ion is taking over every single device that you have. Is AA a "niche" market???

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
and the Boom Box, should have been called the battery box ;)
10 D cells, only cost a nice dinner for 2 , and would last for one late night party.

i still have 2 renewal chargers the 4x AA one, and the big 8XD-C one, that charged renewals at a full 1 Amp , would even heat them to very hot while charging.

wonder if anyone would want to pay money for those antiques:laughing:

MarioJP

Enlightened
so my question is why are these retail stores are selling disposable alkalines like if it was the 80's 90's???. In fact it has gotten even worst. Now you see them in big bulk for a flat price. wow that's a lot of batteries that will soon be in our landfills. Too late energizer, Duracells, and any other battery manufactures. They had their chance in the 80's and 90's. To me it seems they are apologizing to the consumers by selling you tons of AA's AAA's C's and D's at a discount price. Better start making other products like the Duracell flash drive as people ain't really buying much disposable batteries these days lol.

I can understand about AA's AAA's but C's and D's and the worst one of all is the 9V???. The only thing that these 9V's is still very useful is in smoke detectors. Anything else is just a waste of money,as these cells have very very little capacity.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
and the local stores still sell those Sleeved C-D cells for rechargables, i got burned on those myself long ago. Mr.Green goes out and makes an honest effort to fix the waste, and ends up with a battery that doesnt even do what the alkaline does.

and the consumer still reaches for the BIG numbers on the AAs, just like i always did. ooooooh 2500, that will work great.

so how many people are still getting burned so many times, that they dont ever see a usefull rechargable alternative. That pays back the investment made in both money and TIME, when after time things didnt last time?

buy some 3800ma "sony" cells on e-bay, and wonder why stuff just doesnt work right:grin2:
even on the Green Sites , they sold those short lived 2500s , which didnt much help out the rechargable movement.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This would be useful if rechargeable batteries didn't exist. Since they do, what's the point? :shrug:

MarioJP

Enlightened
All I have to say is that these companies OWE us BIG TIME for what they did back then in that time era.

And this so called "rezap" charger cost 50 bucks:eek:. Only to have alkalines ruin your $50 charger?? Brings a whole new meaning of the word "rezap" now doesn't it. If your charger does not get zap the first time. Try again If you don't succeed lol.

What's scary about this is the fact that there would be those that will actually buy it. Energizer has a stranglehold on a AA batter the simple fact that the energizer lithium ultimate AA is well,... the ultimate primary AA battery out there. That is just one example. And if that wasn't enough you had Energizer and Duracell in the 90's releasing ad's like if it was preparing for a presidential election day just to say who has the longest lasting battery out there for consumers to buy. That definitely left a imprint image in people's mind.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
In AA and AAA sizes I basically only use NiMh rechargeables, but I keep a good stash of Alkalines as backup for emergencies and all the little devices they get used in, flashlights, remote controls, CD players/radios, clocks, stuff like that. It's true the 9V batteries pretty much only have use in smoke detectors these days, but keep in mind they were designed at a time when a lot of electronics required more voltage than a typical single cell could provide.

MarioJP

Enlightened
and the Boom Box, should have been called the battery box ;)
10 D cells, only cost a nice dinner for 2 , and would last for one late night party.

i still have 2 renewal chargers the 4x AA one, and the big 8XD-C one, that charged renewals at a full 1 Amp , would even heat them to very hot while charging.

wonder if anyone would want to pay money for those antiques:laughing:

LOL wow I remember those days. I had friends they would bring their boom box to school. I totally forgot about those battery boxes LMAO. They were definitely loud though.

MarioJP

Enlightened
so is the AA, AAA, C, D,9V are a dying breed??. Lithium just pretty much has stolen the spotlight. Is there any good use for these ancient battery format these days? Or am I missing something here??

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
so is the AA, AAA, C, D,9V are a dying breed??. Lithium just pretty much has stolen the spotlight. Is there any good use for these ancient battery format these days? Or am I missing something here??

we still use all of that here, and i have seen peoples battery collections, they are not void of all the types from before AND adding the ones of today.
some people even with the small li-ion in tech junk have alkaline charging devices to get them going again.
are alkies gone in flashlights too? no way, there wouldnt be 2 pallets of durasell on the floor of costco, if everyone had suddenly gone reusable.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

as long as they keep selling heavy duty batteries the end of alkaline batteries is nowhere in sight. with alkaline batteries costing anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 the price of lithium primaries and heavy duty batteries costing about half to 1/4 the price of alkalines neither will be going away anytime soon. I think it will either take a government mandate/tax on disposable batteries to slow the use of them as most people don't care to mess with AA etc battery chargers, they don't mind plugging in a lithium ion powered gadget but opening up battery compartments, removing batteries, sticking them into a charger and waiting/watching for hours doesn't mesh with the instant microwave society these days. The end of alkalines is nowhere in sight without government forced intervention restricting use in some way IMO, I don't see battery companies pricing other batteries cheap enough to obsolete them as they haven't obsoleted heavy duty cells even yet.

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
My dad got a charger like this a while back as where he works they throw out a fair few alkaline's that are something like 75% discharged at most and then they get thrown out.
Seems to work fine if you charge them up before they are completely discharged.
Although a few have leaked, mainly the AAA's.

Can be handy as he has tons of things which take alkaline's, i am sure it has easily paid for itself by now.

MarioJP

Enlightened
I thought in general Alkalines won't accept a charge even if you want to charge them up.?.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought in general Alkalines won't accept a charge even if you want to charge them up.?.

The shell of an alkaline is one of the -nodes (Anode? Cathode? Bah). Running them deposits on the shell, but I think charging slurps stuff from the walls (or this might be reversed, been a long time for me since chemistries). So charging gives them more time to break down. Since companies make them as cheaply as they can, they don't anticipate extra wall wear, so you wind up with alkali ooze coming out of the label.