Newbie...well, first post anyways

harebawl

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading the CPF boards for quite a while, and I have a question.

I run hounds, mostly at night. I spend hours in the dark. I have found my ideal long throw/spot light the Ultra Stinger. I like the Stinger because of throw, but it's form factor is ideal to throw the handle in your front jean pocket, easy to carry that way, I don't even notice it's there. Plus rechargable.

My question is, I am looking into buying a Luxeon light in a similar form factor to the CMG Reactor 3. I have the Stinger for high power applications, and I use the CMG for navigating. I love the long run time, and wear it on a head strap. It is the best headlight I have tried. Much better than conventional headlights. I think the light strap, output, position(on the side of my head) works best for in the woods use. I mean "in the woods" not on trails. It just seems to be the best "headlight" configuration for me. I just wanted to get something with better output also I don't like the switch(2 handed operation). Is the 3aa Luxeon Task light a big jump in output, or should I look at something like the L1 (I believe size wise it would work in the strap). I love the sounds of the L4, but realize runtime and heat could be a problem.

Does anyone have comparison shots of mabey L1, SL3aaLuxeon, Arc LSH-p, against the Reactor 3.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
You should really look at a Dat2Zip sandwich in a minimag that you could use in the headband you already have. About as bright as you can get in a 1watt LS and you still have a 2 x AA form factor. This is much better than the Reactor 3, but the only caveat I can think of is slightly less runtime. Look in the "Sandwich Shoppe" forum for details.

harebawl

Newly Enlightened
In some of the reviews I've seen, the Dat2zip sandwiches, L1, sl3aaluxeon,arc ls, etc.... are rated twice as bright or more than the CMG Reactor 3. However I have never seen a beamshot comparison against the Reactor. Is there really a big difference? Is there any beamshots that compare Reactor against any of the above mentioned lights? The Reactor is just the only benchmark I have to go by right now, and I want to get the right light. I have seen standalone beamshots or some of the above mentioned light vs. each other, but not against the reactor, the only Luxeon I have seen.....even if someone could give me a verbal comparison. ("twice as bright", "way brighter"...etc.)

harebawl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone
Wow some great beam comparisons on that site! Just what I was looking for. It looks like I will try the SL3aalux!, Mabey a Dat2zip later on. The SL3aalux looks like it will give me better output, same form factor, and 1 hand activation! Everything I wanted! Plus I am very comfotable with SL products, my US has been a super, reliable light!

Thanks again!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
harebaul-After getting the AA Lux, try one of the Twin-Tasks, either 3AA, 3 C, 2 L, or 1 l. You will never regret it.

Overamp

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight 3aa Tasklight is a good choice. Cheap, stout, uses rechargeable aa's, white led. I have a black and a silver. Get the silver.