Spiderco question

Enlightened
Aside from being a flashaholic, I'm also a bit of a knife nut and I have a question for Spiderco users. I have one Spiderco knife, a "S" Black ~ C109SLP. It's a nice knife, definitely unique and very light, but it has a flaw that makes me wonder if it's a flaw common to Spiderco knives. When closed the blade rests on one of the cross members causing a dull spot on the blade near the tip.

I bought this knife because of the unique cutout pattern on both the blade and the scales, but really started liking it because it's thinness and light weight make it a great EDC.

So do other Spiderco knives have this flaw?

Mark

nightsirk

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen any such wear in my Spyderco's. You should contact spyderco and hear if they can fix it. If it's a production error, they might exchange it for free.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of them should have this problem, the kicker should rest on the stop pin and stop the edge from contacting anything.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have that exact same knife, and I just checked...on mine, the blade doesn't rest against anything. I second contacting Spyderco about it, because judging by my knife, it sounds like yours is defective.

Just in case any of you are wondering, this is what a Spyderco "S" looks like:

penknifespydercoc109bkp.jpg

AWESOME!!!

Colorblinded

Enlightened
I have the same knife (minus the black) and have been meaning to get it repaired/replaced due to a crack in the blade.

I own other Spydercos that see regular duty, this one is just sort of a 'fun one' to have around.

carrot

Flashaholic
No, it is extremely rare to have a Spyderco where the blade touches the backspacer. In fact, it is probably a defect in the knife you own and should be addressed to Spyderco warranty & repair. FYI I have owned over 50 Spydercos.

Enlightened
Thanks, I contacted Spiderco and I'll be sending it in for warranty repair. It's good to know that this isn't a common problem. I'll have to really start perusing their catalog. :grin2:

Mark

carrot

Flashaholic
All Spydercos are great, but some are definitely better than others. Particular favorites of mine are the Stretch and Caly 3. '

If you like thin and lightweight the Rookie is an excellent choice and has been my on-and-off EDC for a year now sharing time with the Small Sebenza and the Kershaw Skyline. The Rookie may very well be Spyderco's thinnest folder.

Enlightened
All Spydercos are great, but some are definitely better than others. Particular favorites of mine are the Stretch and Caly 3. '

If you like thin and lightweight the Rookie is an excellent choice and has been my on-and-off EDC for a year now sharing time with the Small Sebenza and the Kershaw Skyline. The Rookie may very well be Spyderco's thinnest folder.

Somehow I had a feeling I'd get a couple recommendations.:grin2:

My usual EDC is a Mini Griptillian but I recently bought a Damascus Scallion that I'm really loving. It doesn't keep an edge quite as well as some others, but it takes an edge faster than any knife I own. The SpeedSafe mechanism doesn't hurt either.