Comparison between these two

DavyCrockett

Newly Enlightened
This one says 24W and 1500 lumens.

http://cgi.ebay.com/24W-HID-Xenon-T...&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=7117554216806312763

And this one says 24W for 2000 lumens.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-HID-Xenon-S...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f3dde3dc

Some of you more expert than me, which is right? Can the 2nd one really be 2000 lumens? and the first only 1500?

An aside, the first one claims to be adjustable for the beam, tight as in more spotlight, and wide as in more spill.

Anyone have either?

Thanks, I'm considering buying one or the other.

Davy

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off-brand flashlight manufacturers overstate their lumen ratings as a marketing tool.:fail: 1500 lumens coming from a 24W sounds a lot more realistic...

...but the fact that it is being shipped from China is a precaution. If you have any issues with the light down the road you have to pay for shipping the light back to China. Definitely not cheap.

You are far better off buying the 26W HID from Tactical HID. $230 shipped anywhere in the US, and it is WAY better.:thumbsup:

http://tacticalhid.info/tactical-26w

Last edited:

DavyCrockett

Newly Enlightened
Dudemar, do you work for that company? :) Or do you just own one?

What does the word "tactical" mean here? (i"ve googled and searched and have gotten diff. meanings. Some mean, you attach it to a firearm. Some mean, you just have a forward clicky. Some just use it to sound 'cool'?)

Back in the 60's, saying 'made in Japan' meant CHEAP. No longer, they now make good stuff. Maybe the same thing's happening with China. Until I find otherwise, I'm keeping an open mind about their products. I know a fella over there can work all day for the equivalent of $10. So it may be possible that today, they can make great products for half the price.

Anyone own either of these?

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pearls before swine I guess.:ohgeez:

My noob friend, you must roam the halls of CPF for a while to understand.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tactical HID is merely the name of the company, there is nothing tactical about it. Just as Ford makes the focus Tactical makes the 35 and 26 watt HID lights. But you already own a 35 watt HID light in a very similar fashion you will find no extra ground gained by these lights, just my 2 cents.

DavyCrockett

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Juggernaut for the Tactical answer.

Well, I really am satisfied with my 35W/24W-close to 3500 lumens light. It's a monster though, quite long. So that's why I'll probably buy one of these shorter lights. I'll take the $150 I saved from buying some overpriced light, and buy one of these, and still have money enough to go buy some pearls and sausage.
These are about 9" long, easier to carry. So I'll have two for the price of one. :popcorn:

lovecpf

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patriot: Most likely the first auction he listed, it says "1 sold".

Davy: There are many reasons why the Tactical 26W is better than the HIDs you listed:

-4300K bulb
-HA
-50 min with 2200 mah battery, 100 min with extended battery (both included)
-smooth reflector
-Warranty service and replacement parts are available in the USA

What makes the Chinese HID sellers on eBay so sketchy is they use other flashlight manufacturers' beamshots (for example from Ken J. Good's website) and blatantly put it on their auction listing, claiming it to be their own. In the first listing you posted, the first beamshot pic clearly shows the outline of a PF40. In fact the third pic can be found on Polarion-USA's site:

http://polarion-usa.com/media/Higher_Res_Images.html

Heck in the second auction listing there's a beamshot illuminating a bridge, also taken from Ken's site. It seems the sellers are getting clever by trying to mix their beamshots with Ken's to make it seem more authentic. Pretty sad in light of things.

Last edited:

DavyCrockett

Newly Enlightened
Well, we'll see. So I wonder if TWO of those I bought will outlast ONE of the 26W ones. One could praticallybuy two for the price of the one. Funny, it's listed as 26W, just barely above a 24W one. :whistle: More marketing?

I just got the 1500 lumens one above. It is awesome so far. It throws and spills almost as much as a 35W I have. I think the company that sells this one is more honest. It actually does seem 2000 lumens or slightly more.

Yes, I noticed that too. Some Chinese are stealing photos from someone else. I suppose there are thieves all over the world in every country.

Patriot has a good sense of humor.

Just to make it clear, I bought the first one in my first post here.

I've got to go have a glass of Davy Crockett wine . . . aka Frontier wine out of Kalifornia. Arguing with you Dudmar, makes me thirsty.