LED Lit Samsung Refrigerator

civic77

Newly Enlightened
I have a Samsung led fridge but its a French door style. I don't know what kind of emitter it uses but looks like 5mm leds to me. It has 9 rows and 3 columns so 27 leds in main fridge then 2 on as night light and normal incandescent for freezer. The tint is kinda cool, bluish/purple and all leds are same tint.

I think it looks really sharp and some of my friends who aren't into lighting commented on how cool it looked.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Very cool. I wondered when we'd start seeing them in refrigerators. I think a few folks have modded old ones. How 'bout some beam shots?

Geoff

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I took the incan light bulb out of the door dispenser on my GE fridge and put in an LED screw in night light bulb. It is wonderful as I leave it on 24/7 and late at night I can see the fridge and around well enough and it costs less than $1 a year in electricity. As far as changing out the bulbs inside for LED, I won't bother the cost vs savings isn't there bulbs last too long (even incans) and don't stay on very long.

Jackyl

Enlightened
The LEDs in the model we bought (functional floor sample) were on both the fridge and freezer...no incan. They were bluish, but not as bad as you would expect. They all seemed to match tint @ intensity and would fake in / out like theater lighting with the doors. They must be popular because the manufacturer can't keep up and we don't know when it'll show up now, but they're claiming the 20th. Like waitin on a damn light I swear. ;)

civic77

Newly Enlightened
Yea, the led's themselves look bluish but the actual tint inside looks pretty nice and clean, I like it. I wish our freezer had them too but the freezer is on the bottom (french door), and our fridge has been around for a few months so probably an older model. I'll try to get up a beam shot or two later tonight.

There is alot of led's so you would have to be a true flashaholic to change/swap them out. The ones in there get the job done.

Anyone have any idea how they got all the leds to match the same in tint and brightness? I also wondered about this in car led lights such as Audi's and newer cars, all the leds look exactly the same.

Illum

Flashaholic
I hope this model would have some lights in the freezer, that seems to be a feature that no modern refrigerators seem to have:candle:
I leave a light in my freezer for that reason:whistle:

usLEDsupply

Newly Enlightened
i have installed a bunch of the led strips in some commercial gas station coolers and they are using 1/10th the power and everyone liked them.
i think if my bulb burns out before my 1970s fridge dies i may replace it with a warm white led strip just for fun:)

DM51

Flashaholic
It requires quite a stretch of the imagination to envisage a refrigerator as a LED Flashlight. :rolleyes:

This thread does not belong here in LED Flashlights. I'm going to move it... somewhere. :thinking: :ironic: I can't think where offhand, but I'll find somewhere suitably obscure for it, given the fact that we don't have a refrigerator sub-forum.

DM51

Flashaholic
No; on second thoughts, the Cool Fall sub-forum is not the right place. I'm moving it again. Hmm....

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
or maybe Fixed Lighting?

the local grocery store has led lighting in their freezer section, activated by PIR sensors. It only turns on when someone is in the area, saving energy. Very clever!

Steve K.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had an LED-lit fridge for a few years now. It's an LG and it came with 2 60W incan bulbs as the interior light. Using the fridge normally, they caused milk to spoil early, so I replaced them with E27 base superflux bulbs from somewhere. They work really well.

Illum

Flashaholic
It requires quite a stretch of the imagination to envisage a refrigerator as a LED Flashlight. :rolleyes:

:crackup:

I've had an LED-lit fridge for a few years now. It's an LG and it came with 2 60W incan bulbs as the interior light. Using the fridge normally, they caused milk to spoil early, so I replaced them with E27 base superflux bulbs from somewhere. They work really well.

holy cow, twin 60W lamps?!:eek:
I can feel the heat from a single 40W:shrug:

High-powered LEDs would love to be in there, but installing any metal heatsink close to the vent raises the issue of unnecessary condensation for normal use of the fridge

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
2 60W incan bulbs ... Using the fridge normally, they caused milk to spoil early
How come? Fridge lights are only on when the door is open. They turn off when the door is closed. If you left the door open, that would be the reason the milk went off, not the bulbs.

DM51

Flashaholic
I don't even have to open that link to know it's about Schrodinger's cat.

But if I don't open it, it will be about the cat and also NOT about the cat, won't it? LOL

Random Guy

Enlightened
I don't even have to open that link to know it's about Schrodinger's cat.

But if I don't open it, it will be about the cat and also NOT about the cat, won't it? LOL
Schrodinger's Link?

My money is on rickroll. :)