Cheap Laser Diode and 0-90 degree prism

N

NeedHelp

Hey, I need help. what is the cheapest Laser Diode available and is it possible to use a prism that splits the beam into a 0 degree and 90 degree beam?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could plug apart one of those cheap laser pointers and locate the power connection points and solder a battery pack to them. I did that with a cheap $5.95 pointer and messed with it putting it into a case with a big finned heat sink, ceramic standoff insulators etc. etc. until it now looks like some evil laser beam weapon.

I think you need two prisms glued together to get a bean that both continues straight ahead and a second that splits off perpendicular to the first. Could be wrong on this one thou...

GregR

N

NeedHelp

Thanks,

I was thinking the same thing. A better plan would be to figure out who supplies the lasers for the laser pointers. What website would you recommend to find cheap laser pointers?

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
What you are looking for is a beam splitter. Check with (Google?) electronic and optical surplus shops. Most are going for $10 up.
Cementing two prisms together just gets you a glass cube with no to very poor beamspliting. Using semi-transparent films is an option but without special (read expensive) films it is hard to balance beam power or with a simple mount adjust angles.

It is cheaper and easier to use two cheap lasers.