Malkoff M31 on my AR-15

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
After playing with several 1xCR123A options, I think I've found my AR-15's EDC! It is a Surefire E1B body with Z68 tail switch and Malkoff VME head. I then added Gene's M31W. The total weight with Gear Sector E-series mount is only 5.0 ounces.

The beam is truly flawless. No hot spot, just a hot white blanket of light. This combo is without a doubt a superior room-clearer.

Thanks CPF for the insights and reviews that helped make finalize this selection.

lovecpf

Cheers!

dc001.jpg

dc004-1.jpg

dc010.jpg

dc019.jpg

dc017-1.jpg

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
Your E1B/VME/Z68 is exactly what I have for my EDC! Love that combination, except I went with the M31 instead of the "W". That light mount is great!

Currently I am using a G2/M60F on my rifle. I may need to look into your idea a little further.

Great Pics!

-- Frank

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow :eek: Very nice!!!

Can you acess easily the switch? It looks a bit high. [PS: for a foregrip using]

Last edited:

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
Wow I am new here and didnt realize this could be done. I have an E1B and E2D and love malkoff which I have a m61 in a 6P. Will the M61 work in the VME head or just the M31?

Does this mod take away the High/low setting?

I love malkoff modules but always wished they came in a more sexy EDC type body. Now that I know things can be mixed matched I might just start having some fun.

Last edited:

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the compliments gentlemen!

To answer a few questions;

Reaching the tail switch isn't a problem at all. I use what is called the "thumb-break" hold on my vertical grip. It means my four fingers reside on the vertical grip itself, but my thumb rides the 9 o'clock rail and points forward, much like the "thumbs-forward" hold on a pistol. Reaching the tail switch is perfectly natural as shown below.

Picture011-2-1.jpg

Any Malkoff drop-in will work in the VME head, just make sure you obey the voltage requirements.

In my setup, I did lose the high/low feature of the original E1B. I'm not quite sure what you'd have to do to keep that function, although I'm sure someone else on this forum can answer your question.

Last edited:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reaching the tail switch isn't a problem at all. I use what is called the "thumb-break" hold on my vertical grip. It means my four fingers reside on the vertical grip itself, but my thumb rides the 9 o'clock rail and points forward, much like the "thumbs-forward" hold on a pistol. Reaching the tail switch is perfectly natural as shown below.

Picture011-2-1.jpg

Thanks for the pic. It does explain a lot! ;)

Curias

Newly Enlightened
Hey gunfighter, that's a nice looking set up. Did you have to remove the clip on the E1B, and if so, was the light negatively affected by it, as in cosmetics or waterproofness?

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
Hey gunfighter, that's a nice looking set up. Did you have to remove the clip on the E1B, and if so, was the light negatively affected by it, as in cosmetics or waterproofness?

Yes, I did have to remove the clip. It just slips out of a female slot cut into one side of the body near the bezel.

It doesn't affect function, but it does leave an unsightly void. I rotated this section of the body to 6 o'clock so I don't have to look at it! Problem solved.

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
Did the clip have to come off for the weapon mount or because the VME head wouldnt fit?

I think I am going to get this setup to spoof up my E1B.

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
Did the clip have to come off for the weapon mount or because the VME head wouldnt fit?

I think I am going to get this setup to spoof up my E1B.

It only needs to come off to allow the E1B body to fit into the Gear Sector mount. The VME head will work just fine with the clip.