• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

peak led flashlight heads

infinitelight

Newly Enlightened
When removing the led head of my peak flashlights, I get the impression that the electronics are potted in epoxy. I wonder if all the electronics including the beginning of the leds are potted in epoxy? The reason I am asking this is because I would like to know if diving with the 3 led models would be safe.

Water entering the battery compartment would not be a problem. This can be dried, but is there no possibility for the leds or electronics to be damaged by water?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
i dont know if the the lens and whatnot are safe but the electronics cavity is filled with epoxy

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading an interesting article on EDC forums where someone said that you can actually change the battery underwater and it will still work. I believe it has to be alkaline though.

Last edited:

infinitelight

Newly Enlightened
That would be very good. The electronics and the led seem to be completely potted in epoxy. This alone should make the head completely waterproof. Even the positive contact seems to be corrosion resistant. Is there no risk in changing batteries under water?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
call peak and ask because it might depend on the model.
My Fr400 doesnt seem real water proof, just splash proof, but my el capitan seems pretty sealed up in the head.

I dont know what would happen if water got in the abtter tube though...

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be very good. The electronics and the led seem to be completely potted in epoxy. This alone should make the head completely waterproof. Even the positive contact seems to be corrosion resistant. Is there no risk in changing batteries under water?

To be honest, I don't know if there's any risk in changing batteries under water, I'm still having no luck in finding that post on EDC forums.

infinitelight

Newly Enlightened
@ Eyeeatingfish

Yes, it might depend on the model. Therefore I asked for the multiple Led model as I thought that these models would be waterproof.

@ defloyd77

Thank you for searching the forum.

I took my Titanium Baltic (without batteries) in the sea up to a depth of around 1,5meters for about 30 minutes. There was no water entering the battery tube. When I used it afterwards, there was a bit humidity on the lens as the led heated. I turned the light downwards and lightly pressed the lens. The drop of water came out. I do not know if there is a bit humidity left, but the flashlight still works as it did before. I suppose because the electronics are potted in epoxy. Otherwise the saltwater would have caused corrosion.