Here's the deal...

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here\'s the deal...

While the StreamLight Stinger/Scorpion line I have is working out wonderfully for my needs for my dogs I am now looking for a tactical system. I am a trucker and some of the truck stops one might visit are not the friendliest you'd like to spend the night in. I will budget myself to spend no more than $150 on this new system. What I am looking at is a Tigerlight, StreamLight TL-3 Xenon, SF C3. Any other recommendations that you offer I will serious consider...

Thanks a lot for your time.

Dukester

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Here\'s the deal...

Dukster

I don't get it, I would think that all your current lights should handle things ok.

Am I missing something? Could you explain further?

GregR

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

The tigerlight is supposed to be very bright and is rechargeable. It has the benefit of having the Pepper spray also. As a defensive system it's almost as good as get its short of a lead slinger

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Dukster

I don't get it, I would think that all your current lights should handle things ok.

Am I missing something? Could you explain further?

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure GregR, if there are other options out there I will take a look at them. I would prefer to leave the lights I have for the dogs dedicated just for them and leave them at home. Since I will be going over the road I would like to have a dedicated tactical system for the tractor and leave it in the tractor dedicated for when I do go over the road.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Tigerlight will beat the C3. I don't have a TL-3 but again, The Tigerlight will beat out the Streamlight UltraStinger.
I worked shipping/receiving for many years and I've heard some real horror stories. You might want the OC spray on the Tigerlight.
That way you can see the lot lizards before you spray them. j/k

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dukester-

ah ok, now I understand a bit more.

The tigerlight with pepperspray might be ok, can't give you a first hand evaluation.

I could be wrong but doesn't Streamlight sell additional chargers that can be wired to the truck's 12VDC electrical system and mounted in the cab?

That way you could keep the US at home and move the Stinger between home/truck and keep the Scorpion in your pocket.

I honestly think your pretty well covered already with a decent combination of lights....unless your looking for an excuse for a new light that you can give the wife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Maybe you should try a bright Luxion based LED light?

GregR

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like to suggest you think about keeping the two systems separate. Consider the use of pepper foam. Less likelyhood of contaminating yourself if indoors or in the cab, and better chance of hitting the perps when outdoors as it suffers less affects from wind as the spray/mist does. Just something to take into consideration.

Experiment_626

Newly Enlightened

My advice for your needs would be one of the 3 cell Surefire lights with a P91 bulb(High Output). You can't beat that combo for maximum blinding ability should you have the need to non-lethally hinder someone from bothering you.
I carry a 9Z with the P91 on duty, and I can assure you that it gets the job done without resorting to pepper spray or my .40 Glock to convince an actor to reconsider his situation. The downside to this combo is that the batteries will only last for about 20-25 minutes use, but the batteries are fairly cheap on the Surefire web site.

[Word 'tactical' deleted from original post]

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Geez, with about a Gazillion Dot Cops, and a Billion or so Weigh Stations and several TONS of paperwork, I thought you OTR guys had enough problems!

I don't have a recommendation for you, but I'll be watching what the others say very carefully!

1581zebra

Newly Enlightened

definately something with a tailcap switch... and over 100 lumens. im switching back to the surefire p61 lamp myself. i love my a2, but you cant mess with power.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 8" TigerLight would work very nice as you can leave it on the charger so you will always have an hour of light. It is also much brighter with better throw than the other options you listed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened

Heh hehe... I think we need to ask ourselves, "what does 'tactical' mean?" heh heh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif No, let's don't.

Experiment_626

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
xrayzebra said:
Heh hehe... I think we need to ask ourselves, "what does 'tactical' mean?" heh heh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif No, let's don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

The descriptive word 'tactical' in previous post should have been "Combat Light" to be politically correct. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Tigerlight with the OC might be agood option, if it's legal in all the jurisdictions you will be passing through. If not, the 8 inch might be a better choice. Also consider a Magcharger. It can be focused tight so it will outthrow the Tigerlight, and even your Ultrastinger (according to many here, I've had no personal experience though). Of course, these are more "duty" to me instead of "tactical" lights.
What exactly do you want from the light? Rechargeable or lithium? Long run, or does it really matter to you? Do you want a secondary use as an impact weapon?
I'd go with a Mag or Streamlight 20X (NOT the 20XP it's dimmer and lighter). Either of those are bright, and can e swung very effectively if you know what to do. The Streamlight can also use the SL35 lamp, but it will get pretty hot, and reduce the runtime. You could use some of those Powerstream 1/2d cells that are for use in the Battle Bot robots to increase the runtime though.
For a small pocketable light, the 8 inch Tigerlight might fit, but a Surefire 9AN would be smaller, or if you don't mind a non-rechargeable light, a 3 cell Surefire wouldn't be bad. The Pila 9volt lights also look good, but I don't have any experience with them to compare.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Unicorn said:
What exactly do you want from the light? Rechargeable or lithium? Long run, or does it really matter to you? Do you want a secondary use as an impact weapon?
I'd go with a Mag or Streamlight 20X (NOT the 20XP it's dimmer and lighter). Either of those are bright, and can e swung very effectively if you know what to do. The Streamlight can also use the SL35 lamp, but it will get pretty hot, and reduce the runtime. You could use some of those Powerstream 1/2d cells that are for use in the Battle Bot robots to increase the runtime though.
For a small pocketable light, the 8 inch Tigerlight might fit, but a Surefire 9AN would be smaller, or if you don't mind a non-rechargeable light, a 3 cell Surefire wouldn't be bad. The Pila 9volt lights also look good, but I don't have any experience with them to compare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really doesn't matter to me if it is rechargeable or non-rechargeable. What I think I am leaner towards is the Tigerlight with the OC Canister. Anyway I am hoping that the Tigerlight can throw up some intense white light that will incapacitate a would be perpetrator. The states that have laws against the use of pepper spray or the like I believe are far and in between, I'll take my changes. When it comes to protecting myself against getting rolled in a truck stop the way I look at it it is my right to protect myself not a privilage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Your right though, a rechargeable Maglight or the Streamlight 20X would make for a fine option for thumping someone over the head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

For impact use, the 11 inch Tiglerlight will work as well. It might not hit quite as hard as the Mag or SL20, and definately not as hard as the SL35, but it will get the job done, assuming you know hte best place to hit an attacker. It's not the head by the way. Go for the outer edges of the thighs, the shins, the forearms, and if it gets really bad, start going for the knees, elbows, and collor bones. The backs of the hands are also fairly easily broken if the person has a knife.
I like the options of the Tigerlight for this. You can hopefully blind them with the light, then if that fails to stop them, you've got the OC for up to around 15 feet or so, then if that too fails, you have the final option of using the light as an impact device.