Replacing 24W Darbuster ballast

Umibuta

Newly Enlightened
Help needed. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement for the 24W Darkbuster ballast?

Will any 24W ballast work for HID or is there a particular specifications that I should note before buying. Any advice on how to choose a ballast will also be welcome?

Many thanks.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help needed. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement for the 24W Darkbuster ballast?

Will any 24W ballast work for HID or is there a particular specifications that I should note before buying. Any advice on how to choose a ballast will also be welcome?

Many thanks.

Newpex Enterprises out of California should be able to. Best bet is to open it up and see if there is a part number. Oxycheq also has some 24W ballasts that I guess should work.

Umibuta

Newly Enlightened
Newpex Enterprises out of California should be able to. Best bet is to open it up and see if there is a part number. Oxycheq also has some 24W ballasts that I guess should work.

Thanks. I noticed that the ballast is the same for 24W HID. Does that mean that the only difference between a 21W and 24W HID is actually the bulb alone and the ballast has no effect?

Assuming that I can find a ballast that fits into the Darkbuster, as long as it is 12V DC input and 21-24W output that should work? Or do I need to check other specifications? I noticed that there are some with fast start up and slow start up.

Lucca I think the A7 is attached directly to the bulb, no? If so, it might not fit into the DB unless I link it with a cable.

lucca brassi

Enlightened
I haven't work with Darkbusters , but I own have several BS balasts.

Lucca I think the A7 is attached directly to the bulb, no?
Yes it is.

Does that mean that the only difference between a 21W and 24W HID is actually the bulb alone and the ballast has no effect?

Assuming that I can find a ballast that fits into the Darkbuster, as long as it is 12V DC input and 21-24W output that should work? Or do I need to check other specifications? I noticed that there are some with fast start up and slow start up.

You can use 21W bulb on 24W balast , but not opposite!

( reason is that is HID bulb some very complex capacitive load because of plasm/arc building . With low energy from balast your balast run on upper limit and might overheat if try to hold plasma. If opposite BS are digital balasts which can detect consumption and instantly adjust parameters)

Both bulbs have (21W;24W +/- 3W ) so 22W is common :) for both and most important ignition and working voltage have same.

I think that difference between 21and 24W is only that 24W has slightly higher percent of metal halide wapours that's why more luminiscence.

Umibuta

Newly Enlightened
I haven't work with Darkbusters , but I own have several BS balasts.

Yes it is.

You can use 21W bulb on 24W balast , but not opposite!

( reason is that is HID bulb some very complex capacitive load because of plasm/arc building . With low energy from balast your balast run on upper limit and might overheat if try to hold plasma. If opposite BS are digital balasts which can detect consumption and instantly adjust parameters)

Both bulbs have (21W;24W +/- 3W ) so 22W is common :) for both and most important ignition and working voltage have same.

I think that difference between 21and 24W is only that 24W has slightly higher percent of metal halide wapours that's why more luminiscence.

Thank you. I think that was very informative. What is a BS ballast by the way? Does it mean Brightstar Ballast?