Assisted opening options?

entoptics

Enlightened
I love my Scallion (faithfully used and abused for 6 years), and have no real need to replace it...except...

My buddy had his faithful companion (a nice browning) break on him a few days ago, and he was left without an EDC knife.

I'd freak out if I didn't have a knife and would likely go spend $20 at a nearby store just to have something while I carefully picked another blade to replace my beloved Scallion. I figured I'd nip it in the bud, and look into a backup knife now rather than waste an extra $20 in an already tragic situation.

Criteria
  • Assisted opening
  • 3.25" blade give or take a quarter inch
  • FIRM budget of $30 or less.
  • Not a Scallion (I'd like to try out something new after 6 years)

I've been out of the loop for a long time, so a simple list of good quality assisted opening knives at the $30 price point would probably be all I need to find what I want. I have specific tastes, but I don't even know what is out there.

To get the ball rolling, the Oso Sweet Kershaw looks darn good except for the steel choice (not a deal breaker for a $25 utility EDC though).

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Gerber has a model called "Fastdraw", I think, that may be close to your price. I have the mini model that has a shorter blade. It replaced my Chive cause the lock is easy to use one-handed. Not as classy looking as the Onion. Seems like I've also seen a Buck assisted opener with about a three inch blade at WalMart, but it may cost around $45.

Geoff

MTguy

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Scallion last week and it's an awesome knife.

I saw the Geber Fastdraw at bass pro in canada for 36ish so it should be way cheaper in the US ...Theres also the kershaw volt II or the clash but I don't know what the steels like.

JeepFreak21

Newly Enlightened
I love my Scallion (faithfully used and abused for 6 years), and have no real need to replace it...except...

My buddy had his faithful companion (a nice browning) break on him a few days ago, and he was left without an EDC knife.

I'd freak out if I didn't have a knife and would likely go spend $20 at a nearby store just to have something while I carefully picked another blade to replace my beloved Scallion. I figured I'd nip it in the bud, and look into a backup knife now rather than waste an extra $20 in an already tragic situation.

Criteria
  • Assisted opening
  • 3.25" blade give or take a quarter inch
  • FIRM budget of $30 or less.
  • Not a Scallion (I'd like to try out something new after 6 years)

I've been out of the loop for a long time, so a simple list of good quality assisted opening knives at the $30 price point would probably be all I need to find what I want. I have specific tastes, but I don't even know what is out there.

To get the ball rolling, the Oso Sweet Kershaw looks darn good except for the steel choice (not a deal breaker for a $25 utility EDC though).

I love my Scallion too. I've got a Chive for back-up (and the occasional need for lighter carry). I am extremely brand loyal though.

Just a tip... the last two gun & knife shows I've been to (Sacramento & Reno), there was a stand selling Kershaw "Factory Seconds" - brand new knives with some minute cosmetic flaw and no warranty. They were SUPER discounted though. My Scallion was only $25 and works like a champ!

Billy

carrot

Flashaholic
Not assisted, but still fast to open and still uses a flipper. After a couple days of usage you won't even miss assisted opening.

Kershaw Skyline. One of my favorites in my entire collection.

entoptics

Enlightened
The Skyline is superb by all accounts, but assisted opening is a huge "criteria" for me. I know it's not really necessary, but it's a "cool factor" thing. I've also very rarely come across situations where opening the knife in a weird grip or tight space has made the assist option extra nice.

If the skyline was assisted and cost the same (or even $15 more), I'd have it in my pocket right now. The blade shape is great, the size and weight are excellent, and the materials are very good for the price. The paddle shifter makes it the next best thing to assisted too.