Energizer Recharge 2300mAh AA - New?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simply put, I got a 4-pack of these new Energizer Recharge batteries because of a coupon I had, and they were almost free.

Click here for a pic of the packaging.

Does anyone what type these are? I think they are just a repackage of the previous 2300mAh cells, as they claim to "retain more charge at 12 months vs. Energizer AA 2450 mAh". The metal on the top and bottom are identical to the Eneloop and they are Made in Japan, but the tops are a dark green.

How do they compare to the Eneloop? Are they the Sanyo 2300 mAh batteries from many years ago? Are they low self-discharge? They definately seem to hint at it, but without using those exact words...

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think these have been out for a while. The "2300mAh" is believed to be part of Energizer's attempt to steer away from their 2500mAh disaster.

I'm pretty sure there are a few threads about them, or they are at least mentioned in some threads. You might attempt a search. And, as far as I know, they are just "standard" NiMH cells.

Dave

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
No HR stamps, which the Eneloops don't have either.

I've tried a search, and it didn't turn up much info. I guess these are just your average NiMH rechargeables?

LilKevin715

Enlightened
These newer cells were discussed here briefly (scroll down to post #52). I bought a package and during my ~6 months of use they don't self-discharge nearly as much as regular nimh cells. I don't have any test results to backup my claim but they do appear to be LSD cells.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, I've dispatched six of my Duraloops to my label maker after I caught an early alkaline leak, so it looks like these new 2300's are going to be for my E2L AA.

Out of the package, they came in at 1.30V, and the manufacture date on them said April 2010. Seems pretty good. :)

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
These newer cells were discussed here briefly (scroll down to post #52). I bought a package and during my ~6 months of use they don't self-discharge nearly as much as regular nimh cells. I don't have any test results to backup my claim but they do appear to be LSD cells.

I don't think they are likely LSD cells. What you are probably experiencing is simply the lower self discharge rate of lower capacity NiMH's. If they still made 2000mAh cells, they would self discharge even less.

The 2500-2700mAh craze seems to be on the downswing. Except for some applications, such as use at low to intermediate current levels, where the device is used immediately, they just have too many drawbacks, due to compromises in their construction.

Dave

curtispdx

Enlightened
I bought some at my local Target store a while ago and am very pleased with them. I might even like them better than my Eneloops.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaah, you're from Sweden. Here in the US, we're used to seeing the Energizer bunny because it's trademarked, so Duracell can't use theirs.

fishinfool

Enlightened
I've been doing my own self-discharge test on these Energizer 2300's and they are still at 100% after almost 26 weeks. So for me, even though they aren't labeled as lsd's, they sure are acting like them and I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of them.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are you administering the discharge test, fish? I don't know of any type of cell that holds 100% after 26 weeks! Even Li-Ion will loose a percent or two after that long.

Dave

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have some of the old 2300s, they are good cells and typically don't self discharge fast. I find I do have to recharge them about twice a year in stuff they are "parked" in so they are suitable for stuff you go through batteries once a month easily. I figure unless they are priced considerably lower than LSD nimh the 10-20% additional capacity won't be worth it to most of us, especially with the promise of 2500mah LSD AAs around the corner....

fishinfool

Enlightened
How are you administering the discharge test, fish? I don't know of any type of cell that holds 100% after 26 weeks! Even Li-Ion will loose a percent or two after that long.

Aloha Dave! When I bought the 4pk Energizer 2300's back on 4-9-2010, I first did a full discharge, then a break-in and then once a week I check it with my ZTS MBT-1. But actually, 1 out of the 4 cells started dropping to 80% charge about a month ago but then the next week it would show 100%. :thinking: But 3 out of 4 still at 100% after almost 26 weeks ain't too shabby for non-lsd batteries. :twothumbs

I have also been doing the same test with several other batteries like the original eneloops (100% after 25 weeks) new eneloops (just started), duraloops (100% after 24 weeks), rayovacs (100% for first 17 weeks then 80% over the last 7 weeks), powerex 2700's (100% after 27 weeks), and the new appleloops (just started).

The eneloops/duraloops are expected to hold a charge but I'm very impressed with the Powerex 2700's and the Energizer 2300's for holding at 100% for that long even though they are not lsd batteries. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Aloha Dave! When I bought the 4pk Energizer 2300's back on 4-9-2010, I first did a full discharge, then a break-in and then once a week I check it with my ZTS MBT-1. But actually, 1 out of the 4 cells started dropping to 80% charge about a month ago but then the next week it would show 100%. :thinking: But 3 out of 4 still at 100% after almost 26 weeks ain't too shabby for non-lsd batteries. :twothumbs

I have also been doing the same test with several other batteries like the original eneloops (100% after 25 weeks) new eneloops (just started), duraloops (100% after 24 weeks), rayovacs (100% fir first 17 weeks then 80% over the last 7 weeks), powerex 2700's (100% after 27 weeks), and the new appleloops (just started).

The eneloops/duraloops are expected to hold a charge but I'm very impressed with the Powerex 2700's and the Energizer 2300's for holding at 100% for that long even though they are not lsd batteries. :thumbsup:

unless the ZTS completely discharges the batteries and recharges it there is no way it can tell how much capacity they have, or have lost... period.

jruser

Newly Enlightened
I was about to ask the same thing. I saw these at Sam's Club and hadn't seen them before. They still had the old Energizer NiMH batteries in a bundle with a charger, but just for batteries all they had was the new kind.

The writing on the box implies LSD since it says that it retains charge after 12 months, but they do not say pre-charged on them anywhere. Regardless, it would take some awesome test results for me to even consider a purchase after the years of bad cells they sold. I tested tons of bad cells of theirs ranging from 2350mah - 2650mah.

fishinfool

Enlightened
unless the ZTS completely discharges the batteries and recharges it there is no way it can tell how much capacity they have, or have lost... period.

So are you saying that the ZTS battery testers are not doing what they are supposed to be doing? If so I guess I wasted a bunch of my time and money. :(

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I was about to ask the same thing. I saw these at Sam's Club and hadn't seen them before. They still had the old Energizer NiMH batteries in a bundle with a charger, but just for batteries all they had was the new kind.

The writing on the box implies LSD since it says that it retains charge after 12 months, but they do not say pre-charged on them anywhere. Regardless, it would take some awesome test results for me to even consider a purchase after the years of bad cells they sold. I tested tons of bad cells of theirs ranging from 2350mah - 2650mah.

It is like the writing claiming "lasts as long" etc. Energizer probably has the most income from primary batteries than any of the main battery manufacturers so it is quite possible their resistance to embrace outright LSD cells is that they do not wish to compete with themselves. I figure when someone is "allowed" to make lithium primaries other than energizer here in the states then maybe they will finally start selling energiloops or whatever.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
So are you saying that the ZTS battery testers are not doing what they are supposed to be doing? If so I guess I wasted a bunch of my time and money. :(
A ZTS will give you a fairly good indication for CR123A and alkaline cells, but it is not possible for any battery tester to give a good state of charge indication for NiMH cells. Their electrical characteristics make that impossible.

The way to use a ZTS is as a quick tester for unknown batteries to sort good from bad. But if you want to do actual state of charge measurement on NiMH batteries you have to discharge them in something like the C9000. There is no other way.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aloha Dave!

Oh Hi Ya! as well say here in Ohio, fish.....:)

I was wondering if you were determining the cell's capacity with something like the ZTS. As Lynx and Mr H said, they really aren't very accurate for testing NiMH and NiCd cells. For what they are, they're one of the best though. I have a similar device to the ZTS, and it gives a general approximation, but that's about it.

It could be that these new Energizer cells are some sort of LSD variety, I guess. From the bit I've read about them though, I just figured they were a slightly less capacity regular NiMH cell. If they are, it would relieve some of the problems associated with the Energizer 2500's et al, since lower capacity NiMH cells do not have as high a rate of self discharge etc.

Yeah, as I said above, it could be they are some sort of LSD cell. I'm with you on their previous high cap cells though, and yes, I'd have to hear quite a few really good reviews of these before I tried any.:)

Dave