Using tritium in knives

parker770

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any experience using tritium viles in folding knives?

Specifically, I have a Benchmade 710 that I have been inquiring about having some custom scales made for by a company in Germany.

In the past, they have made custom spacers from conventional GID acrylic that look nice, but I was thinking of taking it a little further.

Here is an example of a different model(556 Mini Griptilian) with a GID acrylic spacer on carbon fiber custom scales:
Grip_glow_1.jpg

What I am thinking is going with a similar translucent spacer, but instead of GID just a clear acrylic spacer, and having a tritium vial set deep on the bottom of the spacer inside the knife so that the tritium glows through the spacer.

What do y'all think? What would be the best sized vial? I would like one that is at least 2-3" long to ensure even light distribution.

Would my German guy have an easier time finding vials over there or would it be better for me to send him some? How is the availability in Germany compared to the US? Anyone have a clue?

Thanks
Parker

CKOD

Enlightened
For a long application like that, if you have the space for a 3mm diameter vial check out merkava's tritium vials in the CPFMP those are very long compared to their diameter, If you need narrower, b@rt sells 1.5 x 5mm as does merkava in that thread.

If you can accomodate 4mm wide tritium vials (and still protect them from pressure on the sides) I'd definitely recommend b@rt's 4x20mm vials, they are BRIGHT compared to the 1.5 and 2mm diameter vials. (cant compare to the 3mm merkava vials, as I havent seen them)

I cant comment on availability, in US vs Germany. I know b@rt ships internationally, and it looks like merkava does too.