How do these compare? Nikon vs Casio

somename

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a somewhat multi-purpose camera.

Important features being:
It takes multiple pic when the buttons pressed so that the perfect pic can be selected during action shots.

Huge zoom for capturing close up pictures of a person walking across a stage 100 yards away. If the zoom makes the images grainy, then its worthless.

Video with audio at 30fps min. Higher frame rates for slow motion playback are a plus.

I have a 4 MO son and sometimes he's looking at you one moment and something else the next. I need a camera that can capture the images quickly and be ready for the next shutter button press and allow me to view the images later.

Are there any camera out there that can fit these needs. My last camera was a Canon Power shot A80 and last I checked the LCD won't display images cleary anymore.

Prices wise something $500-600 or cheaper.

Been looking at the Casio Exilim EX-FH25 and the Nikon D3000. Anyone know about these two?

It seems like the Casio has more features, newer CMOS technology and the 20x optical zoom lens but it can not have lenses added.
So I'm not sure if a 20x zoom is better than the Nikon option of 200mm?

Thanks for your help!!

adehhh

Newly Enlightened
:ironic:,I think the In comparison with the Nikon D3 and D700, maybe it is a little more noisy, but I don't see an huge difference.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're kidding right?

That Casio P&S won't even come close to the Nikon D3000
The casio uses a puny 1/2.3" sensor. The APS-C sensor in the D3000 is about 13 times bigger. That makes a BIG difference. In anything other than bright sunlight, the casio will produce extremely grainy unusable images at those focal lengths. It's not exactly compact either.

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened
Yup, apples and oranges here.

My vote goes to the Nikon in this case.

Get the largest sensor you can afford is what I say.

Better dynamic range and low light performance with larger sensors.

Nikon and Canon are the big players and Panasonic in the non DSLR follows close behind IMHO.