what mod would you recommend?

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened
I have an ARC sls, Surefire E1/KL1, Surefire L4, and a PM6/McModule. I want something with more throw and ability to focus if possible. I have a 6D m$glite that I could use or would buy a 2d if I can get a runtime of say at least 4 hours bright time. I focused a lot on the edc size but want something bigger with more runtime now. Thanks for your help.
imgadgetman

LukeK

Enlightened
Heh if you are looking for a bigger, brighter light with good runtime then look no farther than your 6D mag. Fully loaded it weighs 3 pounds, which doesn't feel heavy to me at all (although others complain about it's weight??). You have a few choices when it comes brightness. A safe but still bright idea is to buy a .5 Ohm 5 Watt resistor instead of driving it directly. This is what I have done with mine and it works very well. Many people, however, have had great success with DD and have not blown any LEDs. My suggestion to you is that you purchase a 5W Luxeon, Hotlips heatsink, and a MR-X resistor/regulator. That would be the perfect combo indeed.

imgadgetman2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendation. I took the 6d out and is does really have alot of reach. How will the output of the 5w compare to the incandescent lamp? BTW, my desk computer went south and my laptop didn't want to go online, so it took me awhile to get back on CPF, hence I haven't been able to respond. Thanks
Imgadgetman(2)

kz1000s1

Enlightened
One quick mod you could do is put a Radio Shack KPR112 Krypton bulb in the 6D. Although it's intended for a 5 cell light, I haven't burned one out yet with 9V and the output is very bright and white.

LukeK

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
imgadgetman2 said:
How will the output of the 5w compare to the incandescent lamp?

[/ QUOTE ]

That of course depends on the LED that you buy. If you get a more expensive V or even W binned LED then it will be significantly brigher than before. If you go with say a U binned one then it will still be brighter than before, the light will be WHITE, and the battery life will be approximately 3 times longer (or more depending on resistance).