Magic Shine versus DIY

Z

z_bobdotorg

I'm curious - given how cheap LED bike lights have become, what's pushing you to DIY?

I was given some Cree XM-L samples and plan to build a 5x front rack mounted light that I've named 'Here Comes the Sun'. I really enjoy DIY projects, and drool over the thought of a 4,000 lumen beast hanging off the front of my bike.

But for about $90 shipped, the 900 lumen Magicshine mj-808 is tough to pass up.

Though each time I see a great custom build (I'm especially jealous of those with CAD/CAM milling access) I'm looking forward to building my own.

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
You could do a custom single XM-L build for around $100 including batteries that would be brighter with a better beam, and custom programmable brightness levels.
It takes a lot more time though.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
DavidAD, they only have it in offer, but they don't ship them yet.

Offroad'Bent, have you ever tried to calculate worth of the work time spend on this kind of DIY project ? ;).

savagemann

Newly Enlightened
The worth of the time spent on doing a DIY light is irrelevant if what you enjoy to do is create/solder/tinker/etc.
Nobody ever said DIY lights were actually cheap.
But they can be cheaper than their high end counterparts.
For example, a niterider pro 1400 retails for like $650-700.
I just built a really solid 2000 lumen light for around the $220 mark.
Yes it is cheaper, but I would not consider it cheap. $220 is alot of $$ for me.
Magicshines are OK lights. Nowhere near 900 lumen though. More like 550-600.
You actually can make a light cheaper than the magicshine costs, that is brighter and smaller.....but the driver and other parts wouldn't really be better quality.
You also need to have tools and some knowledge.
But I think most people doing the DIY thing are doing it because they actually enjoy creating stuff.

mfj197

Newly Enlightened
But I think most people doing the DIY thing are doing it because they actually enjoy creating stuff.
Spot on. It's a way of enjoying a hobby, same as (for example) the construction side of RC models.

BrianMc

Enlightened
It is also a chance to use LEDs that won't be out in main line bike lights for a year, often two, and to make a light that does what you want it to, not what someone thinks you need.