240V or 12V LED lighting for home? Bulbs, SMD tubes or DIY LED of choice?

Z

z_Infinilux

Hi,

I'm planning to light my new home exclusively with LEDs and I'm trying to decide

whether I should focus on 12V or other converters everywhere or use bulbs and LED panels

with drivers that can handle 240V.

I am favouring MD LED tubes in G13 sockets for some places, right now.

They seem to give the most light for the buck and can be integrated well.

Alternatively, what would be the LED of your choice if you could build your own

indoor lighting
and is there any easy solution for connecting it to standard 240V/50 Hz DC?

What I want to avoid is LEDs running at te 50 Hz frequency of the power grid.

Sorry, many, many questions, but I now you are the best here.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recovered the following data from Google's cache manually.
Please post any errors and corrections in a new post below.
-
The format is:
Date, time, old postcount#, poster;
post data
-
I will try to fix the CPF links in the next 2 weeks or until I give up in frustration. Can not do that and verify with CPF down.

-----

02-19-2011 12:46 PM #2 LEDninja

A lot is happening in the last 3 months in LED technology. At present the push is in the US 115VAC/60hz.
If you can wait a few months for the companies to make 23V 50Hz versions (and B22 sockets instead of E26) it should be worth the wait.

Front view: 2010 Philips 7W left; 2011 Philips 8W right.
Phiips8W-front.jpg

The bulb from 2010 is 155 lumens; the bulb from 2011 is 450 lumens. 300% more light for 14% more power in! (A quick check at Amazon.co.uk shows they are still carrying the out of date version.)

Do NOT buy showerheads (clusters of 5mm LEDs) They tend to run off line frequency and dim to half brightness in 6 months)

SMDs are better but other than tubes with their greater surface area for heat dispersion make sure your bulbs have a proper heatsink.

12V bulbs tend to be small and not give out much light.

Cree which makes some of the best LEDs around also have fixtures. Most are 120V but they do have some 230V versions.
http://www.creeledlighting.com/products.aspx

Watch out for too narrow beam angles on spot/flood LED lights!
I have a bulb in my headboard light that is perfect for reading a paperback. But if I try to read the morning newspaper in bed OOPS! only an 8 inch circle of the paper is lit!

Watch out for tint. If it does not say warm white or soft white it isn't. Look for colour temperature.

Incandescent bulbs:
100W ~1400 lumens;
60W ~840 lumens;
40W ~500 lumens;
25W ~300 lumens.
There are many LED bulbs with less than 200 lumens that claim they are equivalent to a 40W bulb. Caveat emptor!!!

I am in Canada (115VAC/60Hz) and rent. No tube or downlight fixtures for me.
So I can only discuss A-19 (G60) type globes.
-
No A-19 equivalent to 100W bulbs.
There are PAR38 and fixtures for 6 inch recessed ceiling lights available.
-
60W bulb:
Philips Endura 12W. 115V at this time though 230V versions should become available across the pond.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=308557
-
40W bulb:
Philips Ambient 8W. 115V at this time though 230V versions should become available across the pond. Be careful you do not buy last years version which is 1/3 as bright. Look for the 'egg yolk' in the picture above; read the lumens on the package (450).
Zetalux 2 Pro 7W. 110-240VAC. 450 lumens warm/550 lumens cool. from Earthled.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=307285
Ecosmart A-19. 429 lumens. 115VAC. 230V version unlikely as it is Home Depot's house brand.
Last edited by LEDninja; 02-19-2011 at 12:54 PM.

-----

02-20-2011 08:09 AM #3 Ken_McE

If I could bring up a minor point. If you run a few 12 volt DC circuits around the house it becomes simple for you to produce your own power and run your own lights. 240 volts would be harder to do.

Also, I would suggest that you get just a few of any particular light and run them for a few weeks to make good and sure that you really like the light from that particular product. It would be bad to buy a thousand Euros worth of some item, and slowly come to realize that that you just don't like them.

and is there any easy solution for connecting (LEDs) to standard 240V/50 Hz DC?

For my own home, I purchase ready made current regulated power supplies and let them do the job of reducing mains power to the point where LEDs are comfortable with it.
Last edited by Ken_McE; 02-20-2011 at 08:24 AM.

02-22-2011 01:23 PM #4 Infinilux

@ LEDninja: wow, I didn't realize things were changing so quickly in this area. I always knew there were better LEDs out there, but indoor lighting just has special requirements.

@ Ken_McE: yeah, I've been looking at simple integrated LED drivers that accept anything between 6-36 V or so. That might be nice to use with some self-made lights.
I'll definitely test a setup like this.

Cogitria

Newly Enlightened
LED lights are great for home theater lighting and night club looks. All you need is a 12V AC-DC (12 volt led lights)adaptor to power LED or neon products. LEDs run off of DC current and your home uses 110V AC. You cannot hook LEDs directly to your walls power! You need an AC-DC adaptor. These AC-DC converters are used on your portable electronics or cordless telephones, answering machines, cell phones etc... You can always use their AC-DC adaptor to power your leds as long as they have 9V-14V output.