Headlamp for 8 year old

Newly Enlightened
My background with flashlights is mostly with incandecent handheld models so bear with me. I own two headlamps, a Princton-tec EOS and a Streamlight Trident. The Princton was given to me about 4-5 years ago. It's bright enough for working around the house at night. The trident I solely use for trecking out into the woods in the early morning before a hunt. It has the green LED, 2 whites, and incan spot. All are dull but are perfect for its use. I wouldn't want anything brighter.

So my kid will turn 8 this week. He is always playing with my headlamps which is no big deal but why not get him one of his own. Plus it gives us another little somehting to wrap up. Because he is only 8 he isn't going to get anything really great and it needs to be found locally. Well today I checked at wall mart and was suprised at their selection of headlamps. Basicallly it came down to an Energizer model and 2 or 3 Coleman models. It was a quick trip so I didn't spend much time shoppping but there was a 75 lumen Colmen and a 100 something model. The Energizer model was around 75 lumens I think. The Coleman's had three levels.

Any input on these models or anything in the $20 - 30 price range? I'd be good with AAA, AA, or 123's. Remember this is for an 8 year old, responsiblebut still 8, with no specific purpose.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question. I have a 6-year-old who wants her own headlamp. I would like to get something dim enough she won't zotz her eyes if she looks at it, and perhaps red, as that's more "glamorous." I have been letting her wear an inexpensive 6-LED Energizer with a red LED, and have looked at some wafer-cell red options at REI. However I think I need to keep her in the AA or AAA tradition as she'll inevitably leave the lamp on by mistake and I don't want to be hunting down exotic batteries.

moresnowdays

Newly Enlightened
My 3 year old runs around with a petzl Tikkina 2. Our local outdoor stores, and amazon also, carry it for around $20, and it runs for a long time on AA's. Works great.

moresnowdays

Newly Enlightened
My 3 year old runs around with a petzl Tikkina 2. Our local outdoor stores, and amazon also, carry it for around $20, and it runs for a long time on AA's. Works great.

Oh, and just to add, This one is about 40 lumen. More than bright enough for kids. I wouldn't want anything more for kids because they constantly put the light right in everyones face when they talk to you without thinking.

Newly Enlightened
More than bright enough for kids. I wouldn't want anything more for kids because they constantly put the light right in everyones face when they talk to you without thinking.

Well, I stopped at the store on the way home and was thinking about this reply and the one right above this one....... And bought the super bright Cree headlamp. i think it was simply the more is better syndrome. Actually the one I bought has a low of 19 lumens, medium of 55? and high of 108 plus a blue light and red light. So it does have a lot of features that might amuse him. I'll post after he gets it.