ITP 1AAA headlamp?

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't noticed this little guy generating much discussion here.

I enjoy the functionality of my EDC 1AAA Maratac clipped to a hat brim for casual use as a headlamp, but it has a few issues: up/down angle adjustability is lacking and in the woods it can easily be knocked off by branches.

The beam of the Maratac 1AAA is fine for headlamp use, with warm tint, soft spot, and lots of useful spill.

Since the ITP 1AAA headlamp is very close the Maratac 1AAA electronics wise and emitter wise, I'm guessing that I'd be happy with it. Plus it has a headband and forehead mount for security and angle adjustability.

Anybody have one of these little headlamps? Love it, hate it, or indifferent?

The reason I haven't ordered one is that I'm a little put off by the
$30 price, especially since the basic 1AAA ITP can be had for around half that.

Guess I'm thinking that I could get a better headlamp for $30...

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I've got one, but it doesn't see much use. I find the twisty interface is a bit sticky or something, so it doesn't work anywhere as nicely as my multiple ITP/Maratac conventional AAA lights. The beam and levels seem to be much the same (as expected). The holder is also slighty fiddly.

I prefer my (more expensive) Zebralight headlamps, so the ITP has been relegated to living in the glovebox of my van for wheel changing etc duties.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
I've got one of these, and it's probably the worst designed headlamp I've got.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a stack of iTP lights and I really like them, but this one is a waste of money. It's bright enough for close up work, but the problem is the whole design.

If you want to physically adjust it up or down (not the light level), chances are you will end up turning it off instead. The problem is the battery cap is enclosed in the rubber sleeve, so when you move the light, the battery cap gets loosened and off goes the light. It is frustratingly annoying.

Have a look at some of the far better headlamps from Zebralight, Fenix, LED Lenser, Petzl, Princetom Tec, 4Sevens Quark with the prism head, even the Fenix angle light, but pass this one up. You may have to spend a little more but you will get a far superior headlamp.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
If you want to physically adjust it up or down (not the light level), chances are you will end up turning it off instead. The problem is the battery cap is enclosed in the rubber sleeve, so when you move the light, the battery cap gets loosened and off goes the light. It is frustratingly annoying.

I noticed that on mine, but solved the problem by srewing the battery cap on TIGHTLY (I do have strong fingers, that helped). Still thought it was a very underwhelming headlamp, though. Disappointing, as I really like my ITP A3 EOS's and Maratac AAAs (along with my DQG Tiny an ITP A3 is my EDC).

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, thanks to all of you for the help. Figured there would be at least a few here who had bought this little headlamp just to check it out - after all, that's the CPF way. ;>

Kinda dissapointed by all the negative comments because I was hoping to hear what a great little headlamp it is. We should forgive iTP for making this headlamp, because it seems like most manufacturers have at least one real dog in their product lineup.

Lately I'm becoming more attracted to very compact, lightweight lights and headlamps. Lights running on just 1 cell, or 2 cells at most.

Don't do much caving or night backpacking these days, so the smaller, lower output headlamps are good enough for me. Headlamps running at 15 to 20 lumens seem plenty good for night hiking on trails, when backed up with a more powerful handheld light for spotting.

Regarding the recommendation of Zebralight: Zebralights seem nearly ideal for me, certainly among the most advanced designs available with features no other manufacturer is offering.

I've come close to pulling the trigger on a Zebralight many times, but have been put off by all the reports of lack of reliability and poor quality control.

Seems like the people that get good ones really love Zebralight, but it does seem like there are a fair number of people who get lemons, then have trouble getting Zebralight to fix them in a timely manner.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
So basically you like lights with a boost circuit (so they can run off a single cell). Me too. That means more $, though.

The Icon Irix II is an inexpensive ($20) 1xAA, sort of a "poor man's Zebra," variable up to 50 lumen, which may meet your requirements. Not a very wide beam, some report blueish tint, some report PWM, but a real value considering it has a boost circuit in it and is regulated and has a decent runtime of 2:20 on high.

Regarding the Zebra, the first batch of H501s and H60s have been acknowledged to be bad by Zebra due to insufficiently sealed switch cap & lens, but those faulty ones are still out there, gradually working their way though the return process, as they didn't fail immediately. The issue was rectified long ago, but this has gotten them loads of continuing negative commentary, and will continue to do so, until all those initial lights have failed and been replaced. Other than the known defectives, Zebra is somewhat the opposite of what you describe: overall it has high quality and high reliability, which explains its popularity here at CPF. A somewhat rare light with its boost circuit, regulation, popular UI, neutral/warm tints, waterproofing, wide beam angle, and remarkably high highs. I do agree they take way too long (from reports) to fix lights, though. (I own 4 and none have needed fixing.)

The other tiny headlamp options are the button cell options. Have a look through REI and you'll find some remarkably small lights. Not my cuppa, as I don't like button cells.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
So basically you like lights with a boost circuit (so they can run off a single cell). Me too. That means more $, though.

Not trying to be argumentative, but never underestimate Chinese manufacturers because they are setting new and ever better standards for bargain priced lights.

I have a bunch of sub-$20 1AAA and 2AAA lights that I've been very happy with. My 1AAA iTPs, Maratacs, and Streamlight MicroStreams were all less than 20 bucks and have proven to be reliable, durable, and very useful little lights. These lights have held up well after being dropped, slammed around on keychains, stepped on, etc.

Also, I've given away a number of Maratacs and MicroStreams to people who love them and have had no issues with reliability, some for several years.

The 2AAA Streamlight StylusPro is another sub-$20 sleeper that delivers a lot of bang for the buck.

The level of capability they are offering nowdays for less than 20 bucks just astounds me. Every time I come close to buying a Zebralight, I wind up ordering another 3 or 4 iTPs or Maratacs for the same price.

The Icon Irix II is an inexpensive ($20) 1xAA, sort of a "poor man's Zebra," variable up to 50 lumen, which may meet your requirements. Not a very wide beam, some report blueish tint, some report PWM, but a real value considering it has a boost circuit in it and is regulated and has a decent runtime of 2:20 on high.

I've been following the Irix thread with interest and agree that the Irix II seems like HUGE bang for the buck. Love everything about it except the blue tint and possible lack of water resistance.

But really, are there any 5mm LED headlamps that don't suffer from blue tint?

Regarding the Zebra...snip...I do agree they take way too long (from reports) to fix lights, though. (I own 4 and none have needed fixing.)

Glad you've had a good experience with your Zebralights - that's probably the case for most people.

I've read most of the Zebralight review threads, and also the Zebralight failures thread, so I have some idea of what's going on with the failure rate and returns.

I'll probably get a Zebralight eventually, simply because I like their designs better than any other 1AA light I've ever seen. Everything about them is nearly perfect for me, so long as they are reliable.

The other tiny headlamp options are the button cell options. Have a look through REI and you'll find some remarkably small lights. Not my cuppa, as I don't like button cells.

Yeah, I'm not too enthusiastic about button cell lights - although I have quite a few between free squeeze lights from Lighthound, and a several Streamlight Nanos and Keymates.

The Petzl button cell headlamp looks good for backup or emergency use and gets generally good reviews. Reliable, light, and compact enough to fit into any backup kit. I'll probably get one of those eventually too, but they are a tad pricey.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
But really, are there any 5mm LED headlamps that don't suffer from blue tint?...

Now that you mention it, I'm not aware of any!

I just ordered an Irix II because I came to the same conclusion you did...seems a terrific value; blue tint, PWM, leaks, & narrow beam be damned.

AaronG

Enlightened
The zebra is more money, but it's an awesome product. In the end would you rather have several cheap lights that don't quite fit your need or one awesome light that makes the rest obsolete? I waivered over the price initially but now that I'm used to my H51F I couldn't go back! ;)

carrot

Flashaholic
It's a good idea with less than stellar execution.

I was looking at the Mammut S-Flex headlamp which seems to match your preferences although it is a new product and an unknown at this time, although Mammut is know to make nice stuff. It's also $30.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a good idea with less than stellar execution.

I was looking at the Mammut S-Flex headlamp which seems to match your preferences although it is a new product and an unknown at this time, although Mammut is know to make nice stuff. It's also $30.

Yeah, looks like iTP rushed this headlamp into production without any real world testing to identify usability issues. Issues like it being turned off when adjusting the up/down angle!

Thanks for suggesting the S-Flex. Looks promising although I don't see any way of adjusting its up/down angle, which would kill it for me. I'll have to wait for some reviews of this one. I do agree that Mammut has a well deserved reputation for making nice stuff.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just going to start a new thread, but I have been having bad flickering problems with my H01 lately. Cleaning didn't seem to help at all and I was wondering if anyone else had issues like this? I've never liked the design of the rubber holder for the light and even aftyer months of use it didn't get much better as I figured it might bresak in after a while. After spending $30 of these you'd think iTP would have sent out redesigned holders that we could get for free.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just going to start a new thread, but I have been having bad flickering problems with my H01 lately. Cleaning didn't seem to help at all and I was wondering if anyone else had issues like this? I've never liked the design of the rubber holder for the light and even aftyer months of use it didn't get much better as I figured it might bresak in after a while. After spending $30 of these you'd think iTP would have sent out redesigned holders that we could get for free.

Sorry to read of your H01 flickering issue, Beacon of Light.

Don't have an H01, but do have several iTP and Maratac 1AAA lights, which have the same innards as the headlamp. The only flickering that I've experienced with my iTP and Maratac lights has been due to dirty contacts or nearly depleted cells.

So, I'd send back the H01 to be fixed or replaced if it's still under warranty.

VC CH

Newly Enlightened
:hitit:
I've got one, but it doesn't see much use. I find the twisty interface is a bit sticky or something, so it doesn't work anywhere as nicely as my multiple ITP/Maratac conventional AAA lights. The beam and levels seem to be much the same (as expected). The holder is also slighty fiddly.

I prefer my (more expensive) Zebralight headlamps, so the ITP has been relegated to living in the glovebox of my van for wheel changing etc duties.

so more expensive will be better ? ! http://www.ferei.com/?p=12&c=12 i know they have a new one with 3 AAA batteries

jarekdadej

Newly Enlightened
I have on
E of those and I really enjoy it. Nice little light.
If you have a flickering problem just clean the contacts and stretch the spring a little, that fixed mine.
I agree it is a little hard to use the twisty interface but a bit of silicone lubricant fixed the problem for me. As mentioned before adjusting it up and down can be tricky but if you tighten the cap it should not give you any issues. At least it stays in place and not wobbling up and down on it's own with the holder supplied.
I have upgraded mine to XP-G neutral and with slightly bigger hotspot and bluish tint gone the H01 is even better.